* How to access parent class/object?
@ 2005-03-25  6:57 Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2005-03-25  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have the following codes (abbreviated):

package A is
   type A_Object is tagged private;
end A;

package B is
   type B_Object is new A_Object with private;
end B;

package C is
   type C_Object is new B_Object with private;
end C;

package D is
   type D_Object is new C_Object with private;
end D;

Now, I have the following declaration:

My_D_Object is D.D_Object;

How can I reference the parent objects?

procedure Process_C (C_Obj : access C_Object);
procedure Process_D (D_Obj : access D_Object);

How can I pass C_Object and D_Object into Process_C and Process_D
respectively given only My_D_Object is D.D_Object?

Thanks.
--
Adrian Hoe

* Re: How to access parent class/object?
@ 2005-03-25  7:48 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2005-03-25  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Mar 2005 22:57:10 -0800, Adrian Hoe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the following codes (abbreviated):
>
> package A is
>    type A_Object is tagged private;
> end A;
>
> package B is
>    type B_Object is new A_Object with private;
> end B;
>
> package C is
>    type C_Object is new B_Object with private;
> end C;
>
> package D is
>    type D_Object is new C_Object with private;
> end D;
>
> Now, I have the following declaration:
>
> My_D_Object is D.D_Object;
>
> How can I reference the parent objects?
>
> procedure Process_C (C_Obj : access C_Object);
> procedure Process_D (D_Obj : access D_Object);
>
> How can I pass C_Object and D_Object into Process_C and Process_D
> respectively given only My_D_Object is D.D_Object?

   My_D_Object : aliased D_Object := ...;

   Process_C (C_Object (My_D_Object)'Access);
   Process_D (My_D_Object'Access);

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: How to access parent class/object?
@ 2005-03-25  8:08 ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2005-03-25  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Sorry for polluting the bandwidth. I posted this thread without
thinking hard enough. Stupid me! :-)

For the benefits of newbies:

I use class wide type to over this problem.

package A is
   type A_Object is tagged private;
   type A_Object_Access is access all A_Object'Class;
end A;

package B is
   type B_Object is new A_Object with private;
   type B_Object_Access is access all B_Object'Class;
end B;

package C is
   type C_Object is new B_Object with private;
   type C_Object_Access is access all C_Object'Class;
end C;

package D is
   type D_Object is new C_Object with private;
   type D_Object_Access is access all D_Object'Class;
end D;

With the declaration:
   My_D_Object : D.D_Object_Access;

Now, call the procedure with:
   Process_C (C_Object_Access (My_D_Object));

This should solve the problem.

Cheers,
--
Adrian Hoe

From: Adrian Hoe @ 2005-03-25  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-03-25  8:10   ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2005-03-25  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Dmitry. I have just posted the solution.

I did not think hard enough. Sorry, anyway thanks again.

Cheers,
--
Adrian Hoe