* Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-07 14:00 braver
From: braver @ 2005-03-07 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

So I tried to build a new GNAT from GCC 3.4.3, the latest release, in
order to check how it handles hot areas such as 'Size.  Strangely, I'm
not getting gnatlib_and_tools target in the Makefile in the build
directory /gcc/ at all!  No matter what I give to configure --
--enable-languages=ada,... --enable-libada, and doing make bootstrap,
saying ADAC=gnatgcc before configure -- still doesn't show the target
in the Makefile.  I have GNAT 3.13p, it's a SuSE Linux, and I wonder
what can be missing where.

Cheers,
Alexy

* Re: Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-07 14:12 ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2005-03-07 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: braver; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 06:00 -0800, braver wrote:
> So I tried to build a new GNAT from GCC 3.4.3, the latest release, in
> order to check how it handles hot areas such as 'Size.  Strangely, I'm
> not getting gnatlib_and_tools target in the Makefile in the build
> directory /gcc/ at all!  No matter what I give to configure --
> --enable-languages=ada,... --enable-libada, and doing make bootstrap,
> saying ADAC=gnatgcc before configure -- still doesn't show the target
> in the Makefile.  I have GNAT 3.13p, it's a SuSE Linux, and I wonder
> what can be missing where.

Try the gcc/gcc directory. By the way, this target has been removed in
gcc from CVS.

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-07 18:00   ` Bobby D. Bryant
From: Bobby D. Bryant @ 2005-03-07 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005, Duncan Sands <baldrick@free.fr> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 06:00 -0800, braver wrote:
>> So I tried to build a new GNAT from GCC 3.4.3, the latest release, in
>> order to check how it handles hot areas such as 'Size.  Strangely, I'm
>> not getting gnatlib_and_tools target in the Makefile in the build
>> directory /gcc/ at all!  No matter what I give to configure --
>> --enable-languages=ada,... --enable-libada, and doing make bootstrap,
>> saying ADAC=gnatgcc before configure -- still doesn't show the target
>> in the Makefile.  I have GNAT 3.13p, it's a SuSE Linux, and I wonder
>> what can be missing where.
>
> Try the gcc/gcc directory. By the way, this target has been removed in
> gcc from CVS.

Could you be more precise as to what target you're talking about?

--
Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

* Re: Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-07 18:27   ` braver
From: braver @ 2005-03-07 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

: Try the gcc/gcc directory. By the way, this
: target has been removed in
: gcc from CVS.

Alas, there's no target with the word gnat or ada in any of the
Makefile's in the resulting build directory!  Trying to compile an Ada
file after make install says that Ada compiler is not installed on this
system.  I got the full GCC 3.4.3 release, then unpacked Ada over it
just it case -- seems the same gcc/ada source subdirectory.  Hmm...

@ 2005-03-07 18:50     ` Tapio Kelloniemi
From: Tapio Kelloniemi @ 2005-03-07 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

"braver" <deliverable@gmail.com> wrote::
>: Try the gcc/gcc directory. By the way, this
>: target has been removed in
>: gcc from CVS.
>
>Alas, there's no target with the word gnat or ada in any of the
>Makefile's in the resulting build directory!  Trying to compile an Ada
>file after make install says that Ada compiler is not installed on this
>system.  I got the full GCC 3.4.3 release, then unpacked Ada over it
>just it case -- seems the same gcc/ada source subdirectory.  Hmm...

BLFS book (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs) recommends for gcc-3.4.1
the following commands to build GNAT:

make -C gcc gnatlib-shared
make -C gcc gnattools

Anyway gnat 3.13p might be a problem, try 3.1[45]p instead. For me
3.15p failed with gcc 3.3.

Also make sure that gcc finds you gnat installation (I don't know how).
Perhaps using the gnat gcc to build the whole new compiler could solve
the problem.

--
Tapio

* Re: Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-07 19:07       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2005-03-07 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:

> Also make sure that gcc finds you gnat installation (I don't know how).
> Perhaps using the gnat gcc to build the whole new compiler could solve
> the problem.

Chances are that configure scripts (at top level, or started by make)
will call the system's compiler driver to compile a short Ada program.
This could mean gcc. I believe that the ADAC variable is no longer in
use, but you can set CC. Or you could add a prefix to the system's
path variable pointing to a directory with a gcc in it that understands
both C and Ada.

HTH,
georg

* Re: Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-07 19:29     ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2005-03-07 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bdbryant; +Cc: comp.lang.ada

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 18:00 +0000, Bobby D. Bryant wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005, Duncan Sands <baldrick@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 06:00 -0800, braver wrote:
> >> So I tried to build a new GNAT from GCC 3.4.3, the latest release, in
> >> order to check how it handles hot areas such as 'Size.  Strangely, I'm
> >> not getting gnatlib_and_tools target in the Makefile in the build
> >> directory /gcc/ at all!  No matter what I give to configure --
> >> --enable-languages=ada,... --enable-libada, and doing make bootstrap,
> >> saying ADAC=gnatgcc before configure -- still doesn't show the target
> >> in the Makefile.  I have GNAT 3.13p, it's a SuSE Linux, and I wonder
> >> what can be missing where.
> >
> > Try the gcc/gcc directory. By the way, this target has been removed in
> > gcc from CVS.
>
> Could you be more precise as to what target you're talking about?

The gnatlib_and_tools target.

Ciao,

D.

* Re: Building GNAT with GCC 3.4.3
@ 2005-03-08  5:40         ` braver
From: braver @ 2005-03-08  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I ended up getting the CVS sources for GCC 4.1.0 and compiling it with
the old GNAT 3.13p by prepending CC=gnatgcc -- works like a charm, no
other configs than the configure options.  And now I get f95 too!
(Needed to get "GMP with MPRF" for that.)  More Fortran and Ada,  Ada
95 and Fortran 95!

Cheers,
Alexy