* Open Source GIS
@ 2004-07-11  5:07 James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 2004-07-11  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Slashdot today has some pointers to the results of this years Open
Source GIS conference

http://www.omsug.ca/osgis2004/proceedings.html
and
http://www.maptools.org/dl_scripts/redirector.php?path=omsug/osgis2004/2
004-05-OSS-Briefing.doc).

One of the products they talk about is Ossim

http://ossim.org

which is a very nice open source package for supporting GIS efforts.
While there is a QT GUI that works well on Mac/Linux/Windows (and now
has very nice Mac and Windows installers), the real power is in the
library that lets you build really powerful apps with very little code.
For instance i wrote a nice drag and drop app in carbon that lets you
convert a number of formats for things like digitial terrain elevation
data (DTED, DEM), National Imagery Transmission Format (NITF), etc into
other formats like jpeg, etc in a couple hundred lines of code most of
which is the GUI code.

I have done an Ada binding to the main parts of the library and while i
havent put it out yet on my website, i would be willing to share it
with anyone who is interested in this type of thing.  i encapsulated
the Ossim C++ classes inside Ada tagged types and i would like some
feedback on if this is the right way to do bindings to c++ classes.  I
have also converted a number of the Ossim Tutorial apps to Ada as
examples of using the class.  I have used it in a number of apps for
work as well, but i cant really share those.

if anyone wants to work with this stuff let me know.

jim

hopperj@macconnect.com

* Re: Open Source GIS
@ 2004-07-11 12:47 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-07-11 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James E. Hopper" <hopperj@macconnect.com> wrote in message
> Slashdot today has some pointers to the results of this years Open
> Source GIS conference

> I have done an Ada binding to the main parts of the library and while i
> havent put it out yet on my website, i would be willing to share it
> with anyone who is interested in this type of thing.  i encapsulated

I am sort of interested. No specific applications but it would be interested
to look at. Perhaps you can get a page at www.adaworld.com for it (or setup
a sourceforge project)?

* Re: Open Source GIS
@ 2004-07-11 19:02   ` James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 2004-07-11 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am working with the ossim folks to add it to the baseline ossim stuff
as soon as they look at the c++ code i addded to ossim to support it.
i was just looking for someone who is familiar with gis or ada tagged
types to give me some feedback on the bindings before i put them out
for the entire world.  if this doenst happen the bindings will get
posted on the ossim site (ossim.org) in a couple weeks.

best jim