* JGNAT
@ 2002-01-11 15:59 Harry Tucker
From: Harry Tucker @ 2002-01-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey,

I haven't been on the news group for a while now. But I have been playing in
Java so hey JGNAT sounded good. But has anyone got it running with Java
1.4.0-beta3?

Running the example programs has gotten me the IllegalMonitorStateException,
one I really never expected to see. I'm being lazy by asking since I haven't
tried recompiling the library yet :) Ah, hello works fine.

Harry

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2002-01-15 12:28 ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2002-01-15 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Tucker wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I haven't been on the news group for a while now. But I have been playing in
> Java so hey JGNAT sounded good. But has anyone got it running with Java
> 1.4.0-beta3?
>
> Running the example programs has gotten me the IllegalMonitorStateException,
> one I really never expected to see. I'm being lazy by asking since I haven't
> tried recompiling the library yet :) Ah, hello works fine.

JGNAT 1.1p's tasking wasn't working with JDK 1.3 (though non-tasking
programs did), so it surprises me not at all there would be more
problems with 1.4.

A comment was posted a few weeks ago by a supported JGNAT user that the
supported JGNAT works sufficiently well for a production environment.

Marc A. Criley
Consultant
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* JGNAT
       [not found] <20041212110015.7D1E64C4006@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-12-12 12:35 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-12-12 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Can a program be created such that JGNAT can be used as well as compile
without JGNAT?  Like be able to output both Java classes and regular
"executables" given one "set" of code?

Andrew Carroll
Carroll-Tech
720-273-6814
andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-12 13:37   ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2004-12-12 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:
> Can a program be created such that JGNAT can be used as well as compile
> without JGNAT?  Like be able to output both Java classes and regular
> "executables" given one "set" of code?

Yes.  But IF, and ONLY IF, you stick to pure, vanilla Ada code.  That
means no Java libraries for user interfaces or anything.  (You could of
course always create wrapper packages that are then implemented either
natively or with Java libraries.)

And JGNAT 1.1 is pretty hoary by now; it had bugs, and was almost
production-ready, but it was dropped as an AdaCore maintained product
some time ago.  And if I recall correctly (it's been over 3 years since
I last used it), while it worked pretty good with JDK 1.2, tasking broke
with JDK 1.3, and I vaguely recall reports that it just pretty much
didn't work much at all with 1.4.

Unless you want to pick up the JGNAT sources and bring them up to snuff
(which would be great! :-), I'd be hard-pressed to think of any
practical use for it--unless you want to play around with it on old JDKs.

For something along the same lines, you might want to look at A#, which
is Ada for the .NET platform.  It is being actively maintained, albeit
as a university computer science research project:
   (http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/mcc_html/a_sharp.html

Marc A. Criley
McKae Technologies
www.mckae.com

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-15 10:32   ` Martin Dowie
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Martin Dowie @ 2004-12-15 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:
> Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting
> for. The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and
> Windows).  It requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast
> (not Java).  So, I'm not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now
> thinking about de-coupling the GUI altogether and making the backend
> "talk" to the frontend in the client/server model.  That way I could
> develop the GUI with any number of "technologies" and the backend
> could be strictly Ada.
>
> How does A# hold up performance wise?  A# recommended for scientific
> computing?  Am I just not getting it?

A# is Windows-only, I can't remember seeing anything about using it on
'Mono'...

* JGNAT
       [not found] <20041212185059.18E224C40B5@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-12-15 10:37 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-12-15 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting for.
The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and Windows).  It
requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast (not Java).  So, I'm
not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now thinking about de-coupling the
GUI altogether and making the backend "talk" to the frontend in the
client/server model.  That way I could develop the GUI with any number of
"technologies" and the backend could be strictly Ada.

How does A# hold up performance wise?  A# recommended for scientific
computing?  Am I just not getting it?

Andrew Carroll
Carroll-Tech
720-273-6814
andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-15 11:23   ` Anders Wirzenius
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2004-12-15 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> writes:

> Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting for.
> The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and Windows).  It
> requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast (not Java).  So, I'm
> not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now thinking about de-coupling the
> GUI altogether and making the backend "talk" to the frontend in the
> client/server model.  That way I could develop the GUI with any number of
> "technologies" and the backend could be strictly Ada.

AWS?

> How does A# hold up performance wise?  A# recommended for scientific
> computing?  Am I just not getting it?
>
> Andrew Carroll
> Carroll-Tech
> 720-273-6814
> andrew@carroll-tech.net

Anders

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-15 13:43     ` David Botton
From: David Botton @ 2004-12-15 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Not true, It can work on Mono and the compiler can be compiled on Linux
for an A# for Linux.

David Botton

On 2004-12-15 05:32:19 -0500, "Martin Dowie"
<martin.dowie@baesystems.com> said:

> A# is Windows-only, I can't remember seeing anything about using it on
> 'Mono'...

* JGNAT
       [not found] <20041215105021.7AD2F4C4085@lovelace.ada-france.org>
@ 2004-12-15 14:03 ` Andrew Carroll
From: Andrew Carroll @ 2004-12-15 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

> ------------------------------
> From: "Martin Dowie" <martin.dowie@baesystems.com>
> Subject: Re: JGNAT
>
> A# is Windows-only, I can't remember seeing anything about using it on
> 'Mono'...

What the heck is 'Mono'?  Isn't that a kissing disease?  heh heh :-)

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-15 14:51     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2004-12-15 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anders Wirzenius <anders@no.email.thanks.invalid> writes:

> "Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> writes:
>
> > Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting for.
> > The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and Windows).  It
> > requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast (not Java).  So, I'm
> > not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now thinking about de-coupling the
> > GUI altogether and making the backend "talk" to the frontend in the
> > client/server model.  That way I could develop the GUI with any number of
> > "technologies" and the backend could be strictly Ada.
>
> AWS?

That's indeed a solution. Now it really depends on the kind of GUI. Web based
GUI are quite poor compared to a standard ones. If Web based GUI is not an
option for this project, what about GtkAda ? It is cross-platform (GNU/Linux,
Windows, OS/X) fast and quite complete and stable at this time. GPS is done
using GtkAda for example.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.org
--|

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-15 14:56   ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2004-12-15 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

This sounds like a job for GTKAda.

http://libre.act-europe.fr/GtkAda/main.html

Steve
(The Duck)

"Andrew Carroll" <andrew@carroll-tech.net> wrote in message
> Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting for.
> The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and Windows).  It
> requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast (not Java).  So, I'm
> not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now thinking about de-coupling the
> GUI altogether and making the backend "talk" to the frontend in the
> client/server model.  That way I could develop the GUI with any number of
> "technologies" and the backend could be strictly Ada.
>
> How does A# hold up performance wise?  A# recommended for scientific
> computing?  Am I just not getting it?
>
> Andrew Carroll
> Carroll-Tech
> 720-273-6814
> andrew@carroll-tech.net

* Re: JGNAT
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-16  0:38   ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2004-12-16  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting for.
> The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and Windows).  It
> requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast (not Java).  So, I'm
> not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now thinking about de-coupling the
> GUI altogether and making the backend "talk" to the frontend in the
> client/server model.  That way I could develop the GUI with any number of
> "technologies" and the backend could be strictly Ada.

GtkAda works on Unix and Windows and uses native-compiled Ada, so it's
much faster than Java.

The laser people at Livermore are writing their important code in Ada
and their GUIs in something else and connecting them with CORBA. You
might be able to do that with a portable GUI in Java and portable
application code in Ada.

--
Jeff Carter
"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time."

* Re: JGNAT
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2004-12-16  9:06   ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2004-12-16  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Carroll wrote:

> Well, I am trying to recommend Ada for a project I am subcontracting for.
> The requirements are that it be crossplatform (Unix and Windows).  It
> requires a GUI and the non-gui code needs to be fast (not Java).  So, I'm
> not real sure what to use.  I guess I'm now thinking about de-coupling the
> GUI altogether and making the backend "talk" to the frontend in the
> client/server model.  That way I could develop the GUI with any number of
> "technologies" and the backend could be strictly Ada.

Ada has it's own clients server implementations (The Annex E) and there are
also some CORBA implementations available. For GNAT there is a free
implementation which can do both:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Libraries:Distributed:PolyORB

> How does A# hold up performance wise?

With Annex E and/or CORBA you might be able to live without .NET as well.

> A# recommended for scientific
> computing?

I don't know if A# has an as flexible implementation for fixed and floating
point as Ada got it:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Types:digit
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming:Ada:Types:delta

I might have to map them to the next best .NET type.

With Regards

Martin

PS: I know the wiki links are all stubs - feel free to write more on the
subjects at hand!
--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net
http://www.ada.krischik.com

* Re: JGNAT
@ 2004-12-19  2:21       ` u_int32_t
From: u_int32_t @ 2004-12-19  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you actually gotten it to compile on Linux? Any pointers?