* My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-21 14:39 Volkert
From: Volkert @ 2003-10-21 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Read Mr Ganssles Embedded Pulse:

http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089

Volkert

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-21 16:36 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 2003-10-21 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Volkert <volkert@nivoba.de> wrote:
> Read Mr Ganssles Embedded Pulse:
> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089

reader feedback shows 58 times the word "Ada"

--
--Peter Hermann(49)0711-685-3611 fax3758 ica2ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
--Pfaffenwaldring 27 Raum 114, D-70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-22  1:09   ` Wes Groleau
From: Wes Groleau @ 2003-10-22  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Hermann wrote:

> Volkert <volkert@nivoba.de> wrote:
>
>>Read Mr Ganssles Embedded Pulse:
>>http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089
>
> reader feedback shows 58 times the word "Ada"

I liked this one (edited):

    ... haven't seen an article on ADA for years! ...
    Maybe ADA based projects don't require calling in
    outside help to save the day.
                          - James Munn

--
Wes Groleau
    ------

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-22  1:30 ` Mike Silva
From: Mike Silva @ 2003-10-22  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

volkert@nivoba.de (Volkert) wrote in message news:<d37844cb.0310210639.30dc26aa@posting.google.com>...
> Read Mr Ganssles Embedded Pulse:
>
> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089

Way to go, Jack.  He's expressed his frustration with C before, but
never like this.

Some of the responses are just so typical.  Stop whining.  Learn
discipline.  Don't limit my technical prowess.  Cars can hurt people,
should we stop driving too? (talk about a broken analogy!)  Not
stated, but sensed: wha'samatta, ain't you MAN enough for C?

What surprises me, though, are the number of responses that agree with
him.

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-22 14:43 ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-10-22 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Volkert wrote:
> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089

Notice that one of his peeves is "The language should simply
not permit leaks;", which Ada does not solve.

Another is allowing multiple indirections, when you have
pointers to pointers. Ada permits this as well, of course.

Another is free-formatting of source code ("C has no formatting
rules"). Ada allows the same freedom.

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-22 15:49   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-10-22 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-22, Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:
> Volkert wrote:
>> http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089
>
> Notice that one of his peeves is "The language should simply
> not permit leaks;", which Ada does not solve.
>
> Another is allowing multiple indirections, when you have
> pointers to pointers. Ada permits this as well, of course.
>
> Another is free-formatting of source code ("C has no formatting
> rules"). Ada allows the same freedom.

And your point is?

--
"Saving keystrokes is the job of the text editor, not the programming
 language."

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-22 16:03     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2003-10-22 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
> And your point is?

I don't think I have one. Just doing some idle posting.

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-22 18:40   ` Volkert
From: Volkert @ 2003-10-22 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message news:<1066833793.934909@master.nyc.kbcfp.com>...
> Volkert wrote:
> > http://www.embedded.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=15306089
>
> Notice that one of his peeves is "The language should simply
> not permit leaks;", which Ada does not solve.
>
> Another is allowing multiple indirections, when you have
> pointers to pointers. Ada permits this as well, of course.
>
> Another is free-formatting of source code ("C has no formatting
> rules"). Ada allows the same freedom.

Anyway, if i read some of the responds to the article if feel
that there is a strong desire for some language like Ada.

* Re: My love-hate relationship with C
@ 2003-10-23  7:58       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2003-10-23  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2003-10-22, Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote:
> Preben Randhol wrote:
>> And your point is?
>
> I don't think I have one. Just doing some idle posting.

heheheh :-) I was waiting for the Ada = C conclusion you see ;-)