From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: which compiler is right?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:43:38 -0600
Date: 2004-03-16T17:43:38-06:00	[thread overview]

"Which compiler is right?"

Typically, that's irrelevant. You have to avoid any construct that doesn't
work with any of the compilers, because the turn-around time for a fix is
too long to wait for. (That's especially true for something like Claw.)
Anyway...

<Lionel.DRAGHI@fr.thalesgroup.com> wrote in message
> Could someone, please, tell me if this code compile with other compilers
> than GNAT and ObjectAda?
> Or even better, is ObjectAda right in rejecting it?

I think the program is illegal, but certainly not for the reasons that
ObjectAda is reporting. But perhaps this is one of the cases where something
completely unrelated is fixing a bug elsewhere in the language (because I
cannot figure out a reason for it to be illegal other than freezing - which
has nothing to do with this).

The inherited Priority routine is primitive by 3.2.3. 8.3 then says that the
new declaration overrides it. Of course, this is bogus, because the type is
not even declared in this scope, so any such overriding has to be illegal.
But I can't find any reason for that. OA says that the type is frozen, but
there really isn't any reason to assume that (and that may not be true in
Ada 2005 anyway). Even if the type was not frozen, we'd still want this to
be illegal.

Looks like Ada-Comment material to me.

                       Randy.