From: Robin KAY <komadori@myrealbox.com>
Subject: Re: Effect of Gender in Learning Ada - OT
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 00:41:45 +0100
Date: 2003-04-27T00:41:45+01:00	[thread overview]

Frode Tenneb� wrote:

> On Saturday 26 April 2003 17:37 Peter Richtmyer wrote:
>
>> PS - I don't care if there are more or less of a gender in SW unless:
>> -- it is costing me money
>> -- there is something illegal or immoral going on
>>
>> And I do not want my tax money spent trying to get "even parity"
>> in programming

[snip]

> You would if it meant a greater probability of safer software being
> installed in the planes you fly or the subways you take, wouldn't you?

But it doesn't mean that at all, rather the opposite. People should be
hired purely based on their ability to do the job. When you start to
push for numerical parity among the sexes (, races, etc.) for it's own
sake you undermine that goal. Fighting illegal/immoral discrimination is
one thing, but there's a very fine line between that and say, throwing
out your top applicant because you need meet your quota on red haired
(^_^) employees. Quotas are a form of discrimination in themselves - a
legal one perhaps, but dubiously moral and nothing that will make the
software in planes or underground trains any safer.

--
Wishing you good fortune,
--Robin Kay-- (komadori)