From: JP Thornley <jpt@diphi.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a Good Ada book?
Date: 1997/06/19
Date: 1997-06-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article: <33A5687F.41C6@collins.rockwell.com>  Roy Grimm
<ragrimm@collins.rockwell.com> writes:

> Scott B Moore wrote:
> >
> > I'm a CS student new to Ada and looking for a good Ada book.  Can anyone
> > recommend one?  ...thanks
>
> I've been using "Programming In Ada, Third Edition" by J.G.P. Barnes and
> have loved it.
>
> I imagine a 4th or even 5th edition has been released since I got the
> 3rd edition.  My copy does not cover anything about Ada95 (it was
> released in 1989), so you probably would want to get the latest
> release.

A Fourth Edition was published in 1994 which included an overview of
Ada 9X (as it was then).

The Ada 95 version is a new book (called, not surprisingly, Programming
in Ada 95). This was so the fourth edition of Programming in Ada would
stay in print. Published 1996 by Addison-Wesley ISBN 0-201-87700-7 and
equally as recommendable as the Ada 83 book.

If you have any interest in high integrity Ada then you may be
interested in John Barnes' latest book published earlier this month:

High Integrity Ada - The SPARK Approach
Addison-Wesley 1997, ISBN 0-201-17517-7
approx GPB35.00 in the UK

which includes a CD-ROM with versions of two of the SPARK tools (for
Win 3.x and 95).

Phil Thornley

| JP Thornley    EMail jpt@diphi.demon.co.uk                           |
|                      phil.thornley@acm.org                           |