* Ada software archive ??
@ 1990-01-10 14:21 Dick Koolish
From: Dick Koolish @ 1990-01-10 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there an archive of public Ada software on SIMTEL20?
If there is, could somebody give me an idea of how to
access it.  Thanks.

* Re: Ada software archive ??
@ 1990-01-14  1:06 ` Chou Chung-Di
From: Chou Chung-Di @ 1990-01-14  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

   In following up message by Koolish@bbn.com (Dick Koolish) regarding the
request of info on archive Ada on SIMTEL20, I would like to ask if someone
knows how to get the MIT public domain Ada compiler on PC-based machines,
please let me know. Thanks.

* Re: Ada software archive ??
@ 1990-01-14  4:29   ` Richard Pattis
From: Richard Pattis @ 1990-01-14  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <14860@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, chouc@mist.cs.orst.edu (Chou Chung-Di) writes:

>    In following up message by Koolish@bbn.com (Dick Koolish) regarding the
> request of info on archive Ada on SIMTEL20, I would like to ask if someone
> knows how to get the MIT public domain Ada compiler on PC-based machines,
> please let me know. Thanks.

I am unaware of an MIT PD Ada compiler, but NYU sells one for about $50 (as
of 1987 - my last contact with them).  Write Ada Project, New York
University, Courant Institute, 251 Mercer Street, New York, NY  10012.
The compiler is very slow, and I don't think much development has been put
into it over the last few years (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

A much better deal, recently announced, would be to purchase Meridian's
AdaStudent for $50.  Without turning this too much into a plug, it is their
full Ada compiler (Real Mode only) + Debugger, but without their DOS or
AdaUtility packages, and without the ability to distribute code across
multiple libraries (although instructors can get a special diskette to set up
multiple libraries for students).

Rich Pattis