* ELF Header Symbol Extraction
@ 2004-02-12 14:30 James Amor
From: James Amor @ 2004-02-12 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Does anyone know of an Ada library that extracts ELF header
information from a binary? Anyone got any suggestions on how to do it
if I can't find a library?

I had thought of piping the output of an 'ELF examiner' tool to a file
and then reading in the contents of the file....seems like a bit of a
hack though!

Cheers in advance,
James

* Re: ELF Header Symbol Extraction
@ 2004-02-13  1:18 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-02-13  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

jamesamor@hotmail.com (James Amor) writes:

> Does anyone know of an Ada library that extracts ELF header
> information from a binary? Anyone got any suggestions on how to do it
> if I can't find a library?

Gnu binutils provides a C library for reading/writing ELF. You
should be able to write an Ada binding pretty easily.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: ELF Header Symbol Extraction
@ 2004-02-13  3:40 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2004-02-13  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"James Amor" <jamesamor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of an Ada library that extracts ELF header
> information from a binary? Anyone got any suggestions on how to do it
> if I can't find a library?

How about something like

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bfdada/
 (Not really sure of its status)

* Re: ELF Header Symbol Extraction
@ 2004-02-13 21:32 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2004-02-13 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does anyone know of an Ada library that extracts ELF header
> information from a binary? Anyone got any suggestions on how to do it
> if I can't find a library?

I wrote such a thing as part of an aborted SPARC compiler project many years
ago. But I don't  know for sure what happened to it (or if it would be
useful on a different platform - as I recall there were a number of
target-dependent parts).

               Randy.