From: maw@duke.cs.duke.edu (Max A. Woodbury)
Subject: Re: Admiral Hopper
Date: Sat, 29-Aug-87 23:59:07 EDT	[thread overview]
Date: Sat Aug 29 23:59:07 1987

Several years ago when Capt. Hopper was the oldest woman in the Navy,
there was considerable pressure to promote her, but the Navy brass didn't
want to make her an active duty admiral.   There was special legislation
introduced in Congress to reactivate the rank of Commodore for Capt. Hopper.

This was done so that on retirement, she would become the first woman
admiral.  She has been fairly instent on accuracy, and was known to
correct someone who introduced her as Admiral Hopper by interjecting
a loud "Rear Admiral" into the proceedings.

I have known her for many years as a result of my fathers long time association
with her, and she has always been a stickler for detail t