* Re: tasking in language a bad idea
@ 1990-06-04  2:42 Ted Holden
From: Ted Holden @ 1990-06-04  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic, Sun

>>Several people posted articles
>>indicating they had no idea WHY tasking as a language feature is a bad
>>idea.

>I posted a response, and I gave three or four reasons.  You have not replied
>to any of them.  Why not?

Because none of them is important in comparison with the problem I mentioned.

>Another person you might consider talking to is Narain Gehani of AT&T Bell
>Labs.  He is a principle designer of Concurrent C/C++, which has just been
>released for research use.  Tasking, naturally, is included as a feature of
>the language.  He might have had some reasons for including tasking.  Do you
>know what they are?

Yes.  He is misguided.  Stroustrup and others there are on record as
being opposed to the idea.

>Occam, CSP and and a variety of Lisps include tasking.  Why do you think all
>these different language designers have included tasking?

The authors are misguided, but even so, none of the languages you
mention are the end-all-be-all languages that Ada in meant to be.
Changing a language spec or constructing a new variant would be FAR
less hassle with any of these than with Ada, hence the damage is far
less.

>>There are several reasons, all of them good.  For one thing, it's
>>a lot of dead weight to be carrying around for an application which
>>doesn't need it.

>There are two pretty obvious responses to this objection, both of them
>convincing.  (1) It's an implementation issue, not a language design issue.
>Why can't a compiler, in principle, simply leave out the tasking part if it's
>not used?  (2) Use a different language.  Neither Ada nor your favorite
>language is the perfect language for every application.  If you don't need
>tasking, and your Ada compliler insists on including a lot of extra baggage,
>use a different language.

1.  Ada versions which I've seen leave out nothing;  small programs
compile to several hundred K bytes.  My understanding has always been
that this is required by the nature of the language.

2.  I know that.  You know that. But does DOD know that?  Ada has been
officially mandated for everything and everybody.

>Reserve Ada for those applications where programming in Ada provides benefits
>compared to the alternatives.  In general, these are large, embedded,
>real-time applications.

Check out the 750 "problems" listed on the AdaWoe bulletin board.  A
great many of them involve real life experiences of people trying to use
Ada on real-time systems.  Fun reading.

>>But the chief one is this:  No matter how you define
>>it, two years later, there will be an application/hardware platform for
>>which the two year old tasking model just won't work.  If past
>>experience is any guide, it will actually be two MONTHs later.

>Let me understand your argument here: Because tasking will change as people
>learn, we shouldn't include tasking in a language.  OK, but why isn't this
>argument applicable to typing, loop constructs, procedure call interfaces, or
>any other language design feature?

No.  The things you mention can easily be written up to work for any and
all applications for all time, as they function in C and Pascal.  The
whole point was that a library is FAR easier to modify than a political-
football/white-elephant/sacred-cow is.

Ted Holden
HTE