From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: GC, existed? the foreigner
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:20:25 -0600
Date: 2004-01-16T23:20:25-06:00	[thread overview]

"Jeffrey Carter" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
news:q80Ob.12381$1e.7181@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> Robert A Duff wrote:
>
> > What I find confusing is that many of these messages contain nothing but
> > gibberish.  I thought the purpose of SPAM was to send advertising, and
> > I've seen some containing ads plus gibberish, which I understand.  But
> > why would folks want to send pure gibberish.  (Both kinds are equally
> > annoying!)
>
> Probably the payload is an image, and you've got an e-mail reader that
> doesn't display images, or you've told it not to display images (as I've
> done with Mozilla). The gibberish is in the text part of the message,
> which you see; the ad is in the image, which you don't.

That, or the spammer just plain screwed up. I've seen messages with obvious
macros where the domains were supposed to be "%Custom.com" and
"$your-domain-here$.com". I've lots of messages with domains with doubled
dots or a missing letter "ww.spamhaven..com". And I've gotten plenty of spam
with no contact information whatsoever. (I've been getting a half-dozen
messages a day from one sender, all the same, no means of contact at all. I
doubt they'll sell many phony drugs that way...)

                 Randy.