* downloading ada
@ 2001-11-20 19:47 Siegfried Gonzi
From: Siegfried Gonzi @ 2001-11-20 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, for polluting the group with trivial requirements, but where can
I download a compile-able gnat-ada distribution. The following
distribution (retrieved from the original gnat-homepage) is reluctant
and will not compile (I assume compiling should not take longer than 5
minutes?):

gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz

I have got a Sun workstation and SunOS 8 (or at choice: 5.6).

A link would be welcomed, because I have not 100 hundred years at my
disposal in order  to find the gnat-distributions on any mirror (I think
1 hour searching is enough).

S. Gonzi

* Re: downloading ada
@ 2001-11-20 19:57 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-11-20 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:47:09 +0100, Siegfried Gonzi wrote:
> Sorry, for polluting the group with trivial requirements, but where can
> I download a compile-able gnat-ada distribution. The following
> distribution (retrieved from the original gnat-homepage) is reluctant
> and will not compile (I assume compiling should not take longer than 5
> minutes?):

Why not? It depend on your machine.

> gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz
                                    ^^^

I don't know, but I would think that the -bin indicated that it was a
binary distribution. There isn't a compiler in that package?

Preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}

* Re: downloading ada
@ 2001-11-20 20:23   ` Siegfried Gonzi
From: Siegfried Gonzi @ 2001-11-20 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:

> Why not? It depend on your machine.
>
> > gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz
>                                     ^^^
>
> I don't know, but I would think that the -bin indicated that it was a
> binary distribution. There isn't a compiler in that package?

The Readme is saying:

"This is the README file for the binary distribution of GNAT.
This directory contains the files needed for installing and running
GNAT.
It includes the C compiler also."

According to the Readme I have to make the configure and after that I
have to fire up the doinstall program.

There is another distribution for the Sun available but only in the
Readmes and not at any of the gnat-mirrors.

S. Gonzi

* Re: downloading ada
@ 2001-11-20 23:07 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2001-11-20 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at> writes:

> Sorry, for polluting the group with trivial requirements, but where can
> I download a compile-able gnat-ada distribution. The following
> distribution (retrieved from the original gnat-homepage) is reluctant
> and will not compile (I assume compiling should not take longer than 5
> minutes?):

Depends on how fast your machine is, and how many header files it has
to process. The GNAT installation also installs the C compiler, and
that requires going thru your system include files and "fixing" them
to be somewhat ANSI C compiliant.

It might be nice to only get GNAT, but most real systems also need C,
and it's easier for ACT to make just one distribution.

> gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz

This is a _binary_ distribution; it will install an executable GNAT
compiler (if you follow the directions, and are patient enough).

On the same web site, but probably not in the same directory, there is
a source distribution. Look for a .tar.gz file that has no system
name, and no 'bin'.

You need the binary installation to compile the source; only GNAT can
compile GNAT.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: downloading ada
@ 2001-11-22 15:17     ` Frode Tenneboe
From: Frode Tenneboe @ 2001-11-22 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Siegfried Gonzi <siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at> wrote:

: According to the Readme I have to make the configure and after that I
: have to fire up the doinstall program.

I have not installed the binary distribution for solaris myself, but
it should be straight forward to download:

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz

read the README, follow the instructions, set up necessary paths
(if necessary) and away you go. If you have problems, please be specific.

If you want to compile it yourself you need the gcc 2.8.1 distribution
(located at any GNU mirror) and

ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/3.13p/gnat-3.13p-src.tgz

This is a somewhat more involving task, but according to some
necessary for Solaris 8. I myself have always run a self compiled
compiler.

: There is another distribution for the Sun available but only in the
: Readmes and not at any of the gnat-mirrors.

This I don't know. References?

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tenneb�                    | email: ft@edh.ericsson.se      ^
| Ericsson Radar AS. N-1788 Halden |                                |