* Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-20 19:41 Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-02-20 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

does anyone out there know/have an older Ada83 compiler
which runs on SPARC/Solaris (e.g. 2.6) or SGI/IRIX(6.5)
which he is able/willing to share?

I have a piece of Ada code I want to make run on these
toys. Of course I know of gnat, but dislike the task
of compiling gcc with gnat/ada-support on these
platforms. Would be great if the compiler does
support some form of plot/draw command for graphics
output (AdaEd which I succesfully compiled for IRIX
does unfortunately not).

Sorry for my silly question and best regards,

    Erik.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-20 20:52 ` Ludovic Brenta
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2008-02-20 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar writes:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone out there know/have an older Ada83 compiler which runs
> on SPARC/Solaris (e.g. 2.6) or SGI/IRIX(6.5) which he is
> able/willing to share?
>
> I have a piece of Ada code I want to make run on these toys. Of
> course I know of gnat, but dislike the task of compiling gcc with
> gnat/ada-support on these platforms. Would be great if the compiler
> does support some form of plot/draw command for graphics output
> (AdaEd which I succesfully compiled for IRIX does unfortunately
> not).

Look at Blatstwave and, failing that, GNAT 3.15p on
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

As for the graphics output, I'm afraid you'll have to roll your own as
I don't know of such a thing in Ada 83.

One alternative would be to consider replacing IRIX and Solaris with
Debian GNU/Linux on both your boxes.  You will get not only GNAT but
also GtkAda, all prebuilt and ready to go.  Then you'd have to convert
your old program to Ada 95 but that's probably not going to be very
difficult.

HTH

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-21  0:21 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2008-02-21  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:

> I have a piece of Ada code I want to make run on these
> toys. Of course I know of gnat, but dislike the task
> of compiling gcc with gnat/ada-support on these
> platforms. Would be great if the compiler does
> support some form of plot/draw command for graphics
> output (AdaEd which I succesfully compiled for IRIX
> does unfortunately not).

No compiler supports plot/draw; that's not part of the language. You need a
graphics library for that.

--
Jeff Carter
"English bed-wetting types."

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-21  6:18   ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-02-21  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey R. Carter" wrote:
> > output (AdaEd which I succesfully compiled for IRIX
> > does unfortunately not).
>
> No compiler supports plot/draw; that's not part of the language. You need a
> graphics library for that.

Thanks for this hint - I understand that I need something like
AdaGTK to do graphics. Is there such a graphics binding which
supports X11 based graphics in AdaEd?

BTW: I placed a binary distrubution of AdaEd 1.12 (New York University)
for the SGI/IRIX platform onto my webpage:

    http://www.baigar.de/irix/AdaEd-1.12.tardist.

It is tested to run on Indigo and Octane with OS rev. IRIX6.5.22.

@ 2008-02-21  6:28   ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-02-21  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Look at Blatstwave and, failing that, GNAT 3.15p on
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Ada_Programming/Installing

OK, blastwave looks worth a try. Thanks for this hint.

> I don't know of such a thing in Ada 83.
Yes sorry, this is my fault. The piece of Ada code, I want
to use was originally compiled using Meridian Ada which
had a binding for VGA graphics supporting line drawing
commands and so on.

> One alternative would be to consider replacing IRIX and Solaris with
> Debian GNU/Linux on both your boxes.
I do not really want to do this step since over the years I
compiled and installed hundrets of useful programs on
these boxes I do not want to miss. Using linux, the way would
be to get a cheap notebook on eBay and use this...

My hope was that someone out there has an old (maybe
originally commercial but now discontinued and free)
compiler to share. I already asked at Aonix and
they claimed that it would be too much work to find the
QIC tapes for the old ActiveAda distrubution  :-(

> also GtkAda, all prebuilt and ready to go.  Then you'd have to convert
> your old program to Ada 95 but that's probably not going to be very
> difficult.
The program is about 1000 lines long, so it seems to
be not too much work to adapt it to Ada95...

   Thanks,

      Erik.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-21  7:29 ` anon
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: anon @ 2008-02-21  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can use any version of GNAT Ada that works on SPARC/Solaris
and add the command line option "-gnat83". Also you can insert the
"pragma  Ada_83 ;" in the source code. But most of the true Ada
83 only compilers are not available for download any more.

As for the "plot/draw commands for graphics". For the most part,
you will have to write them. Because the free Ada compiler only
have the standard Ada libraries define in the LRM.  But you
might check on Adapower.com, they have some sample programs
that might have what your looking for.

In <47BC8252.84C89825@baigar.de>, Erik Baigar <erik@baigar.de> writes:

>Hi,
>
>does anyone out there know/have an older Ada83 compiler
>which runs on SPARC/Solaris (e.g. 2.6) or SGI/IRIX(6.5)
>which he is able/willing to share?
>
>I have a piece of Ada code I want to make run on these
>toys. Of course I know of gnat, but dislike the task
>of compiling gcc with gnat/ada-support on these
>platforms. Would be great if the compiler does
>support some form of plot/draw command for graphics
>output (AdaEd which I succesfully compiled for IRIX
>does unfortunately not).
>
>Sorry for my silly question and best regards,
>
>    Erik.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-21 19:23 ` Charles Lindsey
From: Charles Lindsey @ 2008-02-21 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <47BC8252.84C89825@baigar.de> Erik Baigar <erik@baigar.de> writes:

>Hi,

>does anyone out there know/have an older Ada83 compiler
>which runs on SPARC/Solaris (e.g. 2.6) or SGI/IRIX(6.5)
>which he is able/willing to share?

>I have a piece of Ada code I want to make run on these
>toys. Of course I know of gnat, but dislike the task
>of compiling gcc with gnat/ada-support on these
>platforms. Would be great if the compiler does
>support some form of plot/draw command for graphics
>output (AdaEd which I succesfully compiled for IRIX
>does unfortunately not).

There is the original interpreted version of Ada 83 written at New York
University, which may still be available from there. If not, I have a copy
which I still use for one application that I wrote.

OTOH, you would need to write your own interface to any graphics libraries
you might need. It is not too hard so long as you do not get
over-ambitious.

Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-21 22:03     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-02-21 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Erik Baigar" <erik@baigar.de> wrote in message
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I don't know of such a thing in Ada 83.
> Yes sorry, this is my fault. The piece of Ada code, I want
> to use was originally compiled using Meridian Ada which
> had a binding for VGA graphics supporting line drawing
> commands and so on.

Word of warning: the Meridian compiler was notoriously bad at enforcing the
rules of the Ada language. It was not unusual for a program compiled with it
to have major issues when it was ported to another Ada compiler. (We used to
have many support calls about that, which required me to explain to people
that things like
    for I in (1..10) loop
is not legal Ada syntax.)

                                            Randy.

From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-02-21 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-02-21 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Erik Baigar" <erik@baigar.de> wrote in message
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> > I don't know of such a thing in Ada 83.
> Yes sorry, this is my fault. The piece of Ada code, I want
> to use was originally compiled using Meridian Ada which
> had a binding for VGA graphics supporting line drawing
> commands and so on.

Word of warning: the Meridian compiler was notoriously bad at enforcing the
rules of the Ada language. It was not unusual for a program compiled with it
to have major issues when it was ported to another Ada compiler. (We used to
have many support calls about that, which required me to explain to people
that things like
    for I in (1..10) loop
is not legal Ada syntax.)

                                            Randy.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-25 18:02 ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-02-25 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:
> does anyone out there know/have an older Ada83 compiler
> which runs on SPARC/Solaris (e.g. 2.6) or SGI/IRIX(6.5)
> which he is able/willing to share?

Thanks for all the hints. Now I am quite sure, that gnat
is the way to go. Porting the program should be easy.
I already located a binary distribution for the Sparc
platform: gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz.

From SGI there exists an Ada95 Development System, which is
based on gnat 3.14 suite and thus is GPL, too. Does anyone
out there have media for this (i.e. for gnat_dev
1.4 for IRIX6.5, approx. 160MB)?

Is anyone out there using this and does it require a
valid lecense of the MIPS-Pro compiler to work?

Thanks and best regards,

   Erik.

P.S. For more information please see the SGI homepage at

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=0650&db=relnotes&fname=/usr/relnotes/gnat_dev

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-25 20:19   ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2008-02-25 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:

> Thanks for all the hints. Now I am quite sure, that gnat
> is the way to go. Porting the program should be easy.
> I already located a binary distribution for the Sparc
> platform: gnat-3.13p-sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1-bin.tar.gz.

GNAT 3.15p is available for Solaris, and probably a better choice than 3.13p:

ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium/mirrors/gnu-ada/3.15p/

--
Jeff Carter
"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-27  6:55   ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-02-27  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey R. Carter" wrote:
> No compiler supports plot/draw; that's not part of the language. You need a
> graphics library for that.

I have not looked into the different possibilities in detail
now, but what would be the easiest way if I only want to get
a window and draw lines within this window? I.e. the only
thing I need is a command like "draw.line(x1, y1, x2, y2);"?

X11ada? , Motif/X-Binding?, AdaGTK?

@ 2008-02-27 12:15     ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2008-02-27 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:
> "Jeffrey R. Carter" wrote:
>> No compiler supports plot/draw; that's not part of the language. You need a
>> graphics library for that.
>
> I have not looked into the different possibilities in detail
> now, but what would be the easiest way if I only want to get
> a window and draw lines within this window? I.e. the only
> thing I need is a command like "draw.line(x1, y1, x2, y2);"?
>
> X11ada? , Motif/X-Binding?, AdaGTK?
>
>    Thanks and best regards,
>
>       Erik.

GtkAda.

x11ada is very low level and means you will be spending a lot of time
dealing with expose events.

Motif is a higher level toolkit and not a terrible choice.

GtkAda binds to a somewhat more modern library and 'works' under windows
as well.

Under Linux/Solaris/unix like machines where it is supported it is very
good. The downside will be that for older Solaris and probably for IRIX
you will almost certainly have to compile your own Gtk libraries (not
just the Ada part -- the libraries themselves).

While this can be done (At least for Solaris) and is not too hard if you
know what you are doing, it can be a big deal.

If you are lucky,  you will be able to find pre-compiled libraries for a
Gtk version compatible with GtkAda.

If you have the money, getting GtkAda from AdaCore means you will also
get the pre-compiled Gtk libraries.

If you have more time than money, I suspect you can pull this all
together yourself.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-02-27 15:37     ` Vadim Godunko
From: Vadim Godunko @ 2008-02-27 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 27 фев, 09:55, Erik Baigar <e...@baigar.de> wrote:
> "Jeffrey R. Carter" wrote:
> > No compiler supports plot/draw; that's not part of the language. You need a
> > graphics library for that.
>
> I have not looked into the different possibilities in detail
> now, but what would be the easiest way if I only want to get
> a window and draw lines within this window? I.e. the only
> thing I need is a command like "draw.line(x1, y1, x2, y2);"?
>
> X11ada? , Motif/X-Binding?, AdaGTK?

If you have GNAT GPL 2007 or able to bootstrap GCC/GNAT 4.3.0 on your
machine you may try to use QtAda.

Qt installation is significantly simple when installation of the Gtk+
and all its dependences.

Latest Qt version has support for both SPARC/Solaris 2.6 and SGI/IRIX
6.5.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-03-02 10:15     ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-03-02 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey R. Carter" wrote:

> GNAT 3.15p is available for Solaris, and probably a better choice than 3.13p:
>
> ftp://ftp.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/pub/Ada-Belgium/mirrors/gnu-ada/3.15p/

...thanks for this tip - installed very easy! One only has to take into
   account, that there are two gcc after installation and one has
   to change the PATH variable depending on what is to be compiled...

@ 2008-03-02 10:26       ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-03-02 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> Erik Baigar wrote:
> > now, but what would be the easiest way if I only want to get
> > a window and draw lines within this window? I.e. the only
> > thing I need is a command like "draw.line(x1, y1, x2, y2);"?
>
> GtkAda.

I am  currently trying to compile this one...

> x11ada is very low level and means you will be spending a lot of time
> dealing with expose events.
I know since I wrote plain xlib programs years ago.

> Motif is a higher level toolkit and not a terrible choice.
...and reasonable fast even on older machines...

> GtkAda binds to a somewhat more modern library and 'works' under windows
> as well.
That is the reason why I do not like this way very much: Code where a
major part of development is done for the Windows operating system
is usually not easy to compile on UNIX machines: Poor makefiles, HUGE
amount of dependencies, often not easy to have two different versions
of a library on a system due to the use of identical file names
for both versions (common "newer DLL replaced older one" on Windows
PCs).

> Under Linux/Solaris/unix like machines where it is supported it is very
> good.
gtk-1.0 is OK regarding speed, but recently I recomiled a program
with 2.2 and now it runs at 30% the speed of version gtk-1.2. Anyhow
GtkAda-1.2.12 is based on 1.2, so I will give this one a try...

> The downside will be that for older Solaris and probably for IRIX
> you will almost certainly have to compile your own Gtk libraries (not
> just the Ada part -- the libraries themselves).
I know, just started this journey with libart_lgpl-1.2...

...will post the end of the story in the future,

    ...thanks so far,

@ 2008-03-02 13:31         ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-03-02 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:

> ...will post the end of the story in the future,

...compile complete and the testgtk works quite well.
   If someone out there is interested in a complete
   tar of the binaries (install tree /opt/gnu/gnat),
   please let me know...

> Jeffrey Creem wrote:
> >
> > Erik Baigar wrote:
> > > now, but what would be the easiest way if I only want to get
> > > a window and draw lines within this window? I.e. the only
> > > thing I need is a command like "draw.line(x1, y1, x2, y2);"?
> >
> > GtkAda.

Which widget do you suggest to use if I want to get a window and
plot dots and lines therein? plot or better via OpenGL?

@ 2008-03-02 13:33       ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-03-02 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> Under Linux/Solaris/unix like machines where it is supported it is very
> good. The downside will be that for older Solaris and probably for IRIX
> you will almost certainly have to compile your own Gtk libraries (not
> just the Ada part -- the libraries
Under IRIX it should be possible, too. Gtk-1.2.10 is readily available
and
libart_lgpl compiles quite flawless here. So I am waiting for my SGI
development CD containing the gnat for IRIX to give this a try for the
IRIX platform...

  Thanks for the tips,

@ 2008-03-02 14:15         ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2008-03-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:
> Jeffrey Creem wrote:

>> GtkAda binds to a somewhat more modern library and 'works' under windows
>> as well.
> That is the reason why I do not like this way very much: Code where a
> major part of development is done for the Windows operating system
> is usually not easy to compile on UNIX machines: Poor makefiles, HUGE
> amount of dependencies, often not easy to have two different versions
> of a library on a system due to the use of identical file names
> for both versions (common "newer DLL replaced older one" on Windows
> PCs).

I would not let the Windows baggage bother you here. Gtk+ was written
for Unix like systems and is primarily maintained for Unix like systems
with Windows support clearly lagging. The makefiles are very typical for
large 'auto' tools style makefiles. Still, the dependency tree is pretty
large and has grown over the years but that is more a reflection on the
fact that it has now gotten a fairly full feature set for what people
expect in a toolkit these days.

>> Under Linux/Solaris/unix like machines where it is supported it is very
>> good.
> gtk-1.0 is OK regarding speed, but recently I recomiled a program
> with 2.2 and now it runs at 30% the speed of version gtk-1.2. Anyhow
> GtkAda-1.2.12 is based on 1.2, so I will give this one a try...
>
>> The downside will be that for older Solaris and probably for IRIX
>> you will almost certainly have to compile your own Gtk libraries (not
>> just the Ada part -- the libraries themselves).
> I know, just started this journey with libart_lgpl-1.2...
>
> ...will post the end of the story in the future,
>
>     ...thanks so far,

Please do. It will be nice to hear what you decide.

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-03-13  8:50 ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2008-03-13  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erik Baigar wrote:

> does anyone out there know/have an older Ada83 compiler
> which runs on SPARC/Solaris

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/15.4

* Re: Free Ada83 compiler for older Solaris/SPARC or IRIX?
@ 2008-03-15  7:46           ` Erik Baigar
From: Erik Baigar @ 2008-03-15  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeffrey Creem wrote:

> Erik Baigar wrote:
> > ...will post the end of the story in the future,
> >
> >     ...thanks so far,
>
> Please do. It will be nice to hear what you decide.

...the program is running now on Solaris/SPARC and (only
from curiosity) on WinXP/Intel using gnat3.15 and GtkAda
1.2.13. The IRIX platform is still in progress but I do
not expect a major problem.
Graphics works OK using the GtkAda but I had severe trouble
with the system.bit_ops, see seperate posting...

Thanks for all answers to my question,

   best regards,

      Erik.