* What is a student?
@ 2010-01-07  3:02 Leslie
From: Leslie @ 2010-01-07  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

        I suppose in a sense I am a student of Ada, in that I am just
starting with the language.
        On the other hand, I'm not paying anyone to teach it to me, and
the only test that I have to pass is the one that I set for
myself: does my software produce the results that I am seeking?
        I hope that my perceived status has not inhibited other posters
from replying to my questions. :-)

Leslie

* Re: What is a student?
@ 2010-01-07 14:15 ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2010-01-07 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 jan, 04:02, Leslie <jlturr...@centurytel.net> wrote:
>         I suppose in a sense I am a student of Ada, in that I am just
> starting with the language.
>         On the other hand, I'm not paying anyone to teach it to me, and
> the only test that I have to pass is the one that I set for
> myself: does my software produce the results that I am seeking?
>         I hope that my perceived status has not inhibited other posters
> from replying to my questions. :-)
>
> Leslie

Don't mind, you're welcome (you know, it may happens someone did not
get an answer to a subject on comp.lang.ada, student or not).

P.S. A student is someone who study, ... so there are much, I hope (a
lot of people did or do this outside of any school)

* Re: What is a student?
@ 2010-01-07 17:25 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2010-01-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jan 6, 7:02 pm, Leslie <jlturr...@centurytel.net> wrote:
>         I suppose in a sense I am a student of Ada, in that I am just
> starting with the language.
>         On the other hand, I'm not paying anyone to teach it to me, and
> the only test that I have to pass is the one that I set for
> myself: does my software produce the results that I am seeking?
>         I hope that my perceived status has not inhibited other posters
> from replying to my questions. :-)

When answering a question, I never think about whether it is from a
student or not although the question is pretty similar between a
newbie's and a student's. Even a poster is a student, as long as he or
she is willing to learn I am ok with that.

Anh Vo

* Re: What is a student?
@ 2010-01-07 17:46   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-01-07 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Leslie wrote:
>
>> I suppose in a sense I am a student of Ada, in that I am just
>> starting with the language. On the other hand, I'm not paying
>> anyone to teach it to me, and the only test that I have to
>> pass is the one that I set for myself: does my software produce
>> the results that I am seeking? I hope that my perceived status
>> has not inhibited other posters from replying to my questions.
>> :-)
>
> When answering a question, I never think about whether it is from a
> student or not although the question is pretty similar between a
> newbie's and a student's. Even a poster is a student, as long as he or
> she is willing to learn I am ok with that.

Here on c.l.a we are wary of university or school students who are
unwilling to learn but have some assignment to do and look for
somebody to do their homework for them.  Answering the question for
them only helps them cheat.  Depending on how the question is phrased,
it may or may not be obvious whether the OP really wants to learn.
This explains the suspicions.

Yes, everyone is a student, but not everyone has a school assignment
to do :)

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: What is a student?
@ 2010-01-07 17:55     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2010-01-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/7/2010 12:46 PM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Yes, everyone is a student, but not everyone has a
 > school assignment to do :)

A favored tactic to bait the lazy is to provide a
program which does what they want, but uses language
techniques far beyond what a student at that level
would know. If they're dumb enough to submit this as
they're homework, the instructor will catch it and
call them out (provided the instructor himself isn't
lazy too).

* Re: What is a student?
@ 2010-01-07 17:57     ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2010-01-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/7/2010 12:46 PM, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
 > Yes, everyone is a student, but not everyone has a
 > school assignment to do :)

A favored tactic to bait the lazy is to provide a
program which does what they want, but uses language
techniques far beyond what a student at that level
would know. If they're dumb enough to submit this as
their homework, the instructor will catch it and

@ 2010-01-07 19:29       ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2010-01-07 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hyman Rosen wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> Ludovic Brenta wrote:
>> Yes, everyone is a student, but not everyone has a
>> school assignment to do :)
>
> A favored tactic to bait the lazy is to provide a
> program which does what they want, but uses language
> techniques far beyond what a student at that level
> would know. If they're dumb enough to submit this as
> they're homework, the instructor will catch it and
> call them out (provided the instructor himself isn't
> lazy too).

Another one is to ask them to explain their high-level requirements
and the background behind their question.

--
Ludovic Brenta.