From: joakimds@kth.se
Subject: Re: Starting learning ADA
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 10:46:06 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2019-06-08T10:46:06-07:00	[thread overview]

Den lördag 8 juni 2019 kl. 19:10:20 UTC+2 skrev Ricardo Brandão:
> Hi Joakim,
>
> > I wouldn't recommend cloning the github repository of gnatcoll directly because it's probably "the latest development version" and may use features of the latest development version of the GNAT compiler. I therefore wouldn't expect to be able to build that code with an older compiler. However, a version of gnatcoll is installed with the GNAT Community Edition. In the 2019 version of GNAT CE the gnatcoll.gpr file can be found in C:\GNAT\2019\share\gpr
> > It should be possible to with "gnatcoll.gpr"; in your gpr-file to be good to go.
> >

> To run it from command line, how to inform the gprbuild to look a package in a specif directory?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Ricardo Brandão

Hi Ricardo,

In the past I've used an environment variable ADA_PROJECT_PATH to specify this, but I don't think it's necessary anymore. It is nowadays sufficient to specify the PATH variable to find the GNAT compiler and from that gprbuild can figure out where the gpr-files should be.

From what I understand you have installed two different GNAT compilers on your computer and that's what causes the issues you see. First GNAT CE 2019 has been installed and then the FSF GNAT compiler by "sudo apt install gnat" and the FSF version of gprbuild by "sudo apt install gprbuild". The GNAT CE and FSF GNAT compilers are two different compilers and the binaries they produce are not compatible with each other (others in this forum can explain why much better than I can). In the GNAT CE installation, the gnatcoll library is pre-compiled by the GNAT CE compiler. Those binaries cannot be used by the FSF GNAT compiler. To get the computer in working order I suggest de-installing the FSF version of GNAT and gprbuild and then use the normal command prompt for using gprbuild (GNAT CE 2019 version).

When opening the normal command prompt in Windows 10 and one executes "gcc --version" it should say it is the GNAT Community 2019 version of the compiler. You could try that in the Ubuntu Subsystem and I predict is will say gcc is the FSF version.

Best regards,
Joakim