From: "jason.height@gmail.com" <jason.height@gmail.com>
Subject: Telesoft Unchecked_Conversion
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 18:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-05-06T18:10:39-07:00	[thread overview]

Ok, here goes.

I doubt that anyone can help me out here, but i am going to ask anyhow
(this is my last minute hail mary pass)

I am looking at a porting exercise moving from v1a of the Telesoft
SunOS e68k cross compiler moving to GNAT.

Things look ok EXCEPT with the messages that are sent over the LAN. I
was hoping that the ported application could be written such that it
could communicate with the older software. Unfortunately the LAN
messages are binary records which have been converted to byte arrays
using Telesofts implementation of Unchecked_Conversion.

A few of these have representation clauses which i have therefore been
able to mimic in my own procedures.

Some of these do not have any representation clause, leaving it up to
the compiler to define the layout. Which it seems to do in some non-
sensical way!

Here is my hail mary:

Does anyone have access to the algorithm that the Telesoft compiler
used to layout its records in memory when using Unchecked_Conversion?

My thinking is that it would be easier to implement the algorithm,
rather than reverse engineering each record.

Jason