From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: anonymous aggregates?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:15:39 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-08-31T08:15:39-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, August 31, 2012 5:02:03 AM UTC-7, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:

> There are two separate issues here:
>
> 1. anonymous record types, one of the things I liked to have very much as
> well as an ability to use anonymous arrays and aggregates as components.
>
> The syntax is obvious:
>
> function Foo return
>    record
>       A : Integer;
>       B : Float;
>    end record;

I seem to recall someone saying, probably on this newsgroup, that the early designers of Ada were keeping open the possibility of anonymous record types.  That's one reason why the syntax ends with "end record" instead of "end <typename>" (just to tie this to a different thread!).  It could be that the original version of the language had anonymous record types somewhere in the syntax, and it got eliminated before Ada 83 was standardized.  But I don't really know.

                               -- Adam