* getwd: read error in ..
@ 2000-01-14  0:00 mooreron
From: mooreron @ 2000-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I need to make a trivial modification to existing configured simulation
software.  It was built under Rational VADS 623.53.3 on IRIX 5.3.  We
have since upgraded our OS to IRIX 6.5.5 and installed VADS 623.53.7 to
make this change.  However, when I issue the "a.make" command, it
results in the error message "a.make: getwd: read error in .." being
issued prior to compilation.  I tried to shorten the file pathname of
the Ada source code and was able to compile the code.  But, I still get
the message "a.ld fatal: getwd: read error in .." during link time.  It
appears to me that some file pathname environment variable may need to
be increased.  Is that the case and, if so, which one(s)?

Ron Moore

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: getwd: read error in ..
@ 2000-01-14  0:00 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2000-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <85o1js$esk$1@nnrp1.deja.com>,  <mooreron@my-deja.com> wrote:
>I need to make a trivial modification to existing configured simulation
>software.  It was built under Rational VADS 623.53.3 on IRIX 5.3.  We
>have since upgraded our OS to IRIX 6.5.5 and installed VADS 623.53.7 to
>make this change.  However, when I issue the "a.make" command, it
>results in the error message "a.make: getwd: read error in .." being
>issued prior to compilation.  I tried to shorten the file pathname of
>the Ada source code and was able to compile the code.  But, I still get
>the message "a.ld fatal: getwd: read error in .." during link time.  It
>appears to me that some file pathname environment variable may need to
>be increased.  Is that the case and, if so, which one(s)?

It appears to me that you have a permissions problem, not an environment
variable problem -- the pwd command is failing because it can't read one of
the ancestor directories.

If you can't find an ancestor directory that's lacking read and execute
permissions, check the permissions on the underlying mount points -- these
sometimes bleed through (although I thought this was only on Suns).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@bbnplanet.com

* Re: getwd: read error in ..
@ 2000-01-18  0:00   ` mooreron
From: mooreron @ 2000-01-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Allow me to clarify what I have attempted.

If I create a very long subdirectory name,
i.e. "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz", and populate it with my source code
and build my library there (a.mklib), I SUCCESSFULLY compile and link.
If, however, a create a long subdirectory pathname,
i.e. "abcd/efgh/ijkl/mnop", and populate it with my source code and
build my library there (a.mklib), I was UNABLE to compile the source.
The error in question, "getwd: read error in .." results.

That is what led me to believe that the problem lies with the number of
subdirectories in the pathname.  Permissions were checked on the
ancestor directories and appeared acceptable (drwxr-xr-x).  I am not
familiar with the phrase "underlying mount points".  Could you clarify,
please?

Thank you.

Ron Moore