From: Laurent <lutgenl@icloud.com>
Subject: Re: Problem with GPS under MacOS
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:41:33 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2017-08-22T11:41:33-07:00	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, 22 August 2017 07:43:48 UTC+2, Robert Eachus  wrote:
> On Thursday, August 17, 2017 at 4:48:02 PM UTC-4, Laurent wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have the problem that when I work with GPS and Gnoga is with'ed that GPS 2017 is crashing. In the log I have this:
>
> > Are there other things I could try?
>
> It looks like the problem is a "wild" pointer.  At a guess, it looks like during finalization a 32-bit value was >treated as a 64-bit address. Oops!  I'd put a print command in the place where the failure is occurring. I >assume you have a minimal program that causes the crash, since it seems to be occurring after the main >program completes.

It is actually GPS itself crashing. Don't need to touch compile, build or something else. Just trying to type a word in the editor. So putting a print command won't help as nothing of my program is compiled or executed. Or you have a crystal ball?

The only pointer GPS could have a problem with are those in the handles provided by simple components in the gnoga library.  As I am apparently the only one having this problem I suppose that GPS has I problem with what I try to do.

GPS is a better text editor so I don't get what the problem could be.

The difference in behaviour between GPS 2016 (BOD) and 2017(CDT) is also confusing. I suppose that some of Apple's system protection measures are to blame too. GPS 2016 is tolerated and hangs forever. I have a quad core, so 3 cores to go. 2017 is suspicious and gets killed.

Not really motivated to play a match of ping pong between Apple and Adacore with myself as ball.

Will send the crashlog to Adacore but I don't expect something useful.

More out of despair than actually hoping that it would change something, I tried to open my project on my old Mini Mac. Has 2GB RAM and the latest Mac OS which can be installed is 10.7.5. The latest gnat which works is 2013.

Ok GPS uses X11 and is ugly as hell but no crash, no BOD. Made the changes I wanted to try. Plugged the USB stick back to my main desktop and no more crash!?

WTF? No idea what, why and where the problem is.

I tried to deactivate the autocomplete in GPS. No change. Don't know how the feature is called when you type the name of an "object.", package or type and GPS shows the different possibilities available.

Thought that it could be that one somehow chasing its own tail.

Thanks

Laurent