* Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 10:31 n93942011
From: n93942011 @ 2016-01-14 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and delve into Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but I'm having trouble at the starting block with the installation of the AWS from Ada Core.  The system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7 with a Cygwin Terminal. When I run the first make command, $make setup, I get the following:

$ make setup
gprbind xoscons.bexch
gnatbind xoscons.ali
gcc -c b__xoscons.adb
gcc xoscons.o -o xoscons.exe
Setup OS specific definitions
aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:128:0: warning: "EADDRNOTAVAIL" redefined
 #define EADDRNOTAVAIL   WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL
 ^

From the last line on I get errors such as these:

In file included from aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:82:0:
C:/Strawberry/c/x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/errno.h:166:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
 #define EWOULDBLOCK 140
 ^
.
.
.
aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:319:11: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
 /*NOGEN*/ CND(SIN_FAMILY_OFFSET, "sin_family offset in record");
           ^
aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:338:11: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
 /*NOGEN*/ CND(AI_FLAGS_OFFSET, "???");
           ^
aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:339:11: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
 /*NOGEN*/ CND(AI_FAMILY_OFFSET, "???");
           ^
aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:340:11: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
 /*NOGEN*/ CND(AI_CANONNAME_OFFSET, "???");
           ^
aws-os_lib-tmplt.c:341:11: error: impossible constraint in 'asm'
 /*NOGEN*/ CND(AI_ADDR_OFFSET, "???");
           ^
Can not generate system tags. The test are disabled

Inside of my makefile.conf I changed the following:

Prefix = /cygdrive/c/gnat/2015 (the latest try)
I've also tried "c:/gnat/2015/bin" and other variations of these paths. I then ran "$ make setup" again and received the same errors.  My ADA_PROJECT_PATH = "cygdrive/c/gnat/2015" (the latest try), but I have cycled through other variations as well.

From what I've gathered from the user guide and other resources on the web is that the $Prefix is where AWS will be install under and that the ADA_PROJECT_PATH has something to do with the sources needed to properly build/make.

I have been searching heavily for a solution to my problem and I have come across a few resources, on this forum and a website "http://www.j-paine.org/installing_aws_for_xp.html", but they all seem to be outdated or not specifically what I'm looking for.  There was a tutorial about Slackware and AWS and the website quoted above is an outdated version of the Tutorial that I seemed promising, but I couldn't get the desired results. I read the INSTALL file that comes with the package and it states that all one has to do to install the AWS, IF they have a Cygwin Terminal is run:
$make setup build install,
but I get alot of errors, starting with the ones above when I run that command sequence so starting from square one is the best course of action at this point I believe.

According to the user guide AWS has been tested thoroughly on multiple platforms, including Windows, so if anyone has any knowledge, thoughts, solutions or perhaps a direction I might be able to go in pertaining to my desired solution space, Windows 7 & Cygwin, it would be really really appreciated.

Also C:\GNAT\2015\bin\ is where my compiler is and
after downloading the AWS package from the AdaCore website I unzipped it and made it its own folder "aws" located at C:\GNAT\2015 (C:\GNAT\2015\aws full path name).

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 11:35 ` Brian Drummond
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian Drummond @ 2016-01-14 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 02:31:49 -0800, n93942011 wrote:

> I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and delve
> into Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but I'm having
> trouble at the starting block with the installation of the AWS from Ada
> Core.  The system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7 with a Cygwin
> Terminal. When I run the first make command, $make setup, I get the
> following:

[ errors...]

Which Ada compiler are you using? Is it an FSF one, as from getadanow.com
for example?

I ran into trouble using the FSF compiler to build some Adacore libraries
including AWS, which was most simply resolved by using the Adacore Libre
(gpl) compiler. (So I didn't get into the details of the errors and their
resolution).

While AWS (compiled with the Libre edition) is undoubtedly a great
product, this is an unfortunate feature that doesn't quite jive with the
supposed portability of Ada code.

Or look at www.gnoga.com (which was re-written to avoid using components
of AWS) as a more modern alternative.

-- Brian

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 16:02 ` Jeffrey R. Carter
From: Jeffrey R. Carter @ 2016-01-14 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/14/2016 03:31 AM, n93942011@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and delve into
> Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but I'm having trouble
> at the starting block with the installation of the AWS from Ada Core.  The
> system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7 with a Cygwin Terminal. When
> I run the first make command, $make setup, I get the following:

I'm not sure if anyone has ever been able to use AWS on Windows. This has been
discussed many times on here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/comp.lang.ada/AWS$20Windows

I would 2nd the recommendation to use Gnoga to build Ada web applications.

--
Jeff Carter
"When Bell Labs were invited to evaluate C against the DoD requirements

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 17:40 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2016-01-14 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le jeudi 14 janvier 2016 à 02:31 -0800, n93942011@gmail.com a écrit :
> I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and
> delve into Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but
> I'm having trouble at the starting block with the installation of the
> AWS from Ada Core.  The system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows
> 7 with a Cygwin Terminal. When I run the first make command, $make
> setup, I get the following:

Have you tried to build using the .bat file provided with AWS?

Regards,

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://v2p.fr.eu.org
  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 19:56   ` Björn Lundin
From: Björn Lundin @ 2016-01-14 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2016-01-14 17:02, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> On 01/14/2016 03:31 AM, n93942011@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and delve into
>> Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but I'm having trouble
>> at the starting block with the installation of the AWS from Ada Core.  The
>> system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7 with a Cygwin Terminal. When
>> I run the first make command, $make setup, I get the following:
>
> I'm not sure if anyone has ever been able to use AWS on Windows. This has been
> discussed many times on here:

I have. We include it in our product.
It usually takes a _very_ new compiler.
And lately, using the bat file Pascal mentions in his post makes it
much easier to install - from an ordinary cmd.exe session - not bash.

--
Björn

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 20:03   ` n93942011
From: n93942011 @ 2016-01-14 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 6:37:58 AM UTC-5, Brian Drummond wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2016 02:31:49 -0800, n93942011 wrote:
>
> > I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and delve
> > into Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but I'm having
> > trouble at the starting block with the installation of the AWS from Ada
> > Core.  The system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7 with a Cygwin
> > Terminal. When I run the first make command, $make setup, I get the
> > following:
>
> [ errors...]
>
> Which Ada compiler are you using? Is it an FSF one, as from getadanow.com
> for example?
>
> I ran into trouble using the FSF compiler to build some Adacore libraries
> including AWS, which was most simply resolved by using the Adacore Libre
> (gpl) compiler. (So I didn't get into the details of the errors and their
> resolution).
>
> While AWS (compiled with the Libre edition) is undoubtedly a great
> product, this is an unfortunate feature that doesn't quite jive with the
> supposed portability of Ada code.
>
> Or look at www.gnoga.com (which was re-written to avoid using components
> of AWS) as a more modern alternative.
>
> -- Brian
Sorry for the late reply.  First I'm using the GNAT GPL 2015 Compiler with the AWS from libre.Adacore.com.  Since in your comment you mention that you got the AWS libre edition to compile I'm leaning towards the fact that I'm messing up in my makefile.  Gnoga seems like a viable option as well and I appreciate the suggestion, but like I said you seemed to have got AWS to compile with the same tools so I think instead of ditching something because I can't get it work wouldn't benefit me in the long run.

If you possibly show a copy of your makefile.conf and tell me which terminal you're using I would really be thankful.

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 20:07     ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-01-14 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le jeudi 14 janvier 2016 21:03:27 UTC+1, n939...@gmail.com a écrit :

> Sorry for the late reply.  First I'm using the GNAT GPL 2015 Compiler with the AWS from libre.Adacore.com.

Then just use the win32/build.cmd or win32/build.bat and have a beer. Convince yourself you don't know about makefiles :-).
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://www.openhub.net/accounts/gautier_bd

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 20:30     ` n93942011
From: n93942011 @ 2016-01-14 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 2:56:40 PM UTC-5, björn lundin wrote:
> On 2016-01-14 17:02, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:
> > On 01/14/2016 03:31 AM, n93....@gmail.com wrote:
> >> I'm attempting to move towards more complicated Ada concepts and delve into
> >> Ada Web applications and Ada Web Server programming, but I'm having trouble
> >> at the starting block with the installation of the AWS from Ada Core.  The
> >> system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7 with a Cygwin Terminal. When
> >> I run the first make command, $make setup, I get the following:
> >
> > I'm not sure if anyone has ever been able to use AWS on Windows. This has been
> > discussed many times on here:
>
> I have. We include it in our product.
> It usually takes a _very_ new compiler.
> And lately, using the bat file Pascal mentions in his post makes it
> much easier to install - from an ordinary cmd.exe session - not bash.
>

> --
> Björn

I re-downloaded the packages and searched extensively through each folder looking for a .bat file. I found only one, "make.bat" file under the "/docs" folder, which I'm assuming is not what I'm looking for.  Could one of you be so kind to give more of a specific path to this .bat file that makes it easier to install?

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 21:14       ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-01-14 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I re-downloaded the packages and searched extensively through each folder looking for a .bat file. I found only one, "make.bat" file under the "/docs" folder, which I'm assuming is not what I'm looking for.  Could one of you be so kind to give more of a specific path to this .bat file that makes it easier to install?

In the "INSALL" file, you have:

"
Building on Windows
-------------------

On Windows based system it is possible to build from the standard Windows
command line using the provided scripts win32\build.cmd. The argument is the
path where AWS is to be installed. It is recommended to install AWS with
the compiler, so for example:

   c:> win32\build.cmd c:\gnat\2014
"

HTH
_________________________
Gautier's Ada programming
http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-14 21:17         ` n93942011
From: n93942011 @ 2016-01-14 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 4:14:20 PM UTC-5, gautier...@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I re-downloaded the packages and searched extensively through each folder looking for a .bat file. I found only one, "make.bat" file under the "/docs" folder, which I'm assuming is not what I'm looking for.  Could one of you be so kind to give more of a specific path to this .bat file that makes it easier to install?
>
> In the "INSALL" file, you have:
>
> "
> Building on Windows
> -------------------
>
> On Windows based system it is possible to build from the standard Windows
> command line using the provided scripts win32\build.cmd. The argument is the
> path where AWS is to be installed. It is recommended to install AWS with
> the compiler, so for example:
>
>    c:> win32\build.cmd c:\gnat\2014
> "
>
> HTH
> _________________________
> Gautier's Ada programming
> http://gautiersblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Ada
> NB: follow the above link for a valid e-mail address

Thank you sir. Exactly what I needed. Clarity. Thanks everyone who also helped as well.

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-01-15  9:30 ` Maciej Sobczak
From: Maciej Sobczak @ 2016-01-15  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 11:31:50 AM UTC+1, n939...@gmail.com wrote:
> The system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but did you consider "upgrading" your system to... Linux Debian? Installing it in a virtual machine on your Windows system might be a viable solution, too.

Forget OS wars for the moment, but AWS on Windows is notorious and this group has witnessed people having permanent problems with this combination. I'm not going to argue that Windows is to blame here - on the contrary, it is the AWS that has failed to provide a truly portable build system, but there is apparently no incentive to fix it.
I'm also not going to argue that installing Debian (where AWS exists as a package) is easier than installing AWS on Windows, but it very well might be. It also seems that there are more dedicated people who are interested in maintaining the Ada-on-Debian ecosystem, so it might be easier for you to get help or even regular consulting service in the future.

--
Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-15 14:38   ` n93942011
From: n93942011 @ 2016-01-15 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 4:30:19 AM UTC-5, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 11:31:50 AM UTC+1, n939...@gmail.com wrote:
> > The system I'm attempting to run it on is Windows 7
>
> I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this, but did you consider "upgrading" your system to... Linux Debian? Installing it in a virtual machine on your Windows system might be a viable solution, too.
>
> Forget OS wars for the moment, but AWS on Windows is notorious and this group has witnessed people having permanent problems with this combination. I'm not going to argue that Windows is to blame here - on the contrary, it is the AWS that has failed to provide a truly portable build system, but there is apparently no incentive to fix it.
> I'm also not going to argue that installing Debian (where AWS exists as a package) is easier than installing AWS on Windows, but it very well might be. It also seems that there are more dedicated people who are interested in maintaining the Ada-on-Debian ecosystem, so it might be easier for you to get help or even regular consulting service in the future.
>
> --
> Maciej Sobczak * http://www.inspirel.com
I actually have switched over to Ubuntu. It took me less than an hour to setup AWS on Linux and I didn't have to bug you guys on here to do such.

* Re: Ada Web Server Installation
@ 2016-01-15 17:13   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2016-01-15 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le vendredi 15 janvier 2016 à 01:30 -0800, Maciej Sobczak a écrit :
> Forget OS wars for the moment, but AWS on Windows is notorious and
> this group has witnessed people having permanent problems with this
> combination. I'm not going to argue that Windows is to blame here -
> on the contrary, it is the AWS that has failed to provide a truly
> portable build system, but there is apparently no incentive to fix
> it.

You may want to read first what has been said here!

  c:> win32\build.cmd c:\gnat\2014

Is the above command really too complex?

Wondering...

--

@ 2016-01-15 18:04     ` n93942011
From: n93942011 @ 2016-01-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, January 15, 2016 at 12:13:15 PM UTC-5, Pascal Obry wrote:
> Le vendredi 15 janvier 2016 à 01:30 -0800, Maciej Sobczak a écrit :
> > Forget OS wars for the moment, but AWS on Windows is notorious and
> > this group has witnessed people having permanent problems with this
> > combination. I'm not going to argue that Windows is to blame here -
> > on the contrary, it is the AWS that has failed to provide a truly
> > portable build system, but there is apparently no incentive to fix
> > it.
>
> You may want to read first what has been said here!
>
>   c:> win32\build.cmd c:\gnat\2014
>
> Is the above command really too complex?
>
> Wondering...
>
> --
>   Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)
>
>   The best way to travel is by means of imagination
>
>   http://v2p.fr.eu.org
>   http://www.obry.net
>
>   gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

I wouldn't say complex.  At the time it didn't click to what you were referring to.  Seeing it again mentioned by someone else made me realize I didn't understand your original suggestion.