From: jrmarino <dragonlace.cla@marino.st>
Subject: Re: Ada cross-compiler (Windows) to Android
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 23:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-07-14T23:38:09-07:00	[thread overview]

On Jul 15, 1:52 am, Brian Drummond <br...@shapes.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In short (if possible!) what is missing from stock GCC sources to prevent
> this?

Way too much to list.  There's a reason why a separate repository
exists.

> Could the code you added be available in e.g. the form of patches to
> apply to stock GCC?

This question indicates that you are unfamiliar with the process to
submit patches to gcc.  To call it a nightmare would be an euphemism.
Nevertheless, I have taken the first step of assigning my copyright
over to gnu, but have hit a stumbling block on the sheer amount of BS
it takes to get a patch first reviewed and then committed, and I have
a least 50 patches.  There are patches I really want to get into the
codebase, so you can tell how much I'm dreading this if I haven't even
submitted the first one.  As an aside, it's just amazing that after 20
years, the gcc group has a whole don't recognize this to be a big
enough problem to fix (although some prominent developers due).

More specific answer: The patches I have that gcc wants mostly deal
with *BSD support and gnat improvements.  I don't think they want the
android stuff (yet) anyway.  Even the gcc/android doesn't mean gnat/
android.

> I see that GCC4.7 is supposed to add Android as a target (but I don't
> know if that just means C/C++ rather than Gnat)

Likely just c/c++

> Glad to hear it! Is there anything a complete outsider (running Linux not
> *bsd) can do to help?

Nothing at the moment.  Maybe somebody could produce some templates to
allow native Ada programs to interface with the android API.  I think
one can make android apps without using java at all, but it requires
binding to the c-interface and all that needs to be developed.

> hopefully Linux will be on the list...

People have build GNAT-AUX on Linux, although personally I was unable
to do it on ubuntu using the gnat from synaptic as the bootstrap.
Linux isn't a focus of GNAT-AUX because Adacore makes sure it works on
Linux.  GNAT-AUX is meant to service the *BSDs and Solaris.
Theoretically it builds on everything that stock GCC builds on, I just
don't test it to verify.

John