* GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 EKoerber
From: EKoerber @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone yet ported GNAT to run on MacOS.  Yes, I know all about the Tenon
products.
However, with Mac OS X Server (available) and Mac OS X (soon to be out) both
build with
a Unix kernel, I don't really need yet another flavor of Unix when all I want
to do is to write
Mac OS native applications.

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 ` Ted Dennison
From: Ted Dennison @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000204073310.24976.00001287@ng-ci1.aol.com>,
  ekoerber@aol.com (EKoerber) wrote:
> Has anyone yet ported GNAT to run on MacOS.  Yes, I know all about the
> Tenon products. However, with Mac OS X Server (available) and Mac OS
> X (soon to be out) both build with a Unix kernel, I don't really need
> yet another flavor of Unix when all I want to do is to write Mac OS
> native applications.

The people you would need to ask about this (if they don't speak up
here) are those listed on this page:
http://www.adapower.com/lab/macos/index.html

The first step in any such port would be a Gcc port to that platform.
Does such a port exist? Porting gcc to Win32 required a project to
emulate a lot of the standard Unix calls and also required ports of a
lot of the gnu tools. My understanding of the Mac situation is that
no-one has bothered to do this since Tenon basicly has already done it.

--
T.E.D.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-04  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000204073310.24976.00001287@ng-ci1.aol.com> ,
ekoerber@aol.com (EKoerber) wrote:

> Has anyone yet ported GNAT to run on MacOS.  Yes, I know all about the Tenon
> products. However, with Mac OS X Server (available) and Mac OS X (soon to be
> out) both build with a Unix kernel, I don't really need yet another flavor of
> Unix when all I want to do is to write Mac OS native applications.

Jim Hopper ported GNAT v3.12p to MachTen/Codebuilder.  It's available in
the powerpc folder at GNAT/NYU ftp cite.

<ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/powerpc/>  -- or something similar

--
Celebrate Darwin Day on Saturday, 12 February!

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/darwin/index.shtml>

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-04  0:00   ` EKoerber
From: EKoerber @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK.. I'll try again.  Mac OS X Server (available now) and Mac OS X
(available later this year) are composed of BSD Unix with more-or-less, the
traditional Mac OS GUI grafted onto the front-end.  All of
the standard BSD Unix things should already be available as part of
the operating system because it ***IS*** Unix.  Therefore, having
a second flavor of Unix (MachTen) running concurrently should be
unnecessary.  A large effort as was required to do convince gcc that it
is running in a Unix environment, as was required with Win32, should
also be unnecessary because there already is a Unix environment.

I talked to some folks on here last year about this before Mac OS X
Server was available and a port had not been done yet.  However, I
thought that I would check in again, just in case things had changed.

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-04  0:00     ` Matthew Majka
From: Matthew Majka @ 2000-02-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

EKoerber wrote:

> OK.. I'll try again.  Mac OS X Server (available now) and Mac OS X
> (available later this year) are composed of BSD Unix with more-or-less, the
> traditional Mac OS GUI grafted onto the front-end.  All of
> the standard BSD Unix things should already be available as part of
> the operating system because it ***IS*** Unix.  Therefore, having
> a second flavor of Unix (MachTen) running concurrently should be
> unnecessary.  A large effort as was required to do convince gcc that it
> is running in a Unix environment, as was required with Win32, should
> also be unnecessary because there already is a Unix environment.
>
> I talked to some folks on here last year about this before Mac OS X
> Server was available and a port had not been done yet.  However, I
> thought that I would check in again, just in case things had changed.

It is also my understanding, from reading Apple's developer info on
MacOS X, that the native development environment for MacOS X is/will be
GCC and GDB, so at the least Apple has done this port for Objective-C
(C/C++?).  From there I suspect that adding GNAT would not be difficult
at all.

Matt

Matthew Majka - Systems/Software Engineer
Honeywell, Inc. (Defense Avionics Systems)
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-05  0:00   ` Aidan Skinner
From: Aidan Skinner @ 2000-02-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Dennison <dennison@telepath.com> writes:

> In article <20000204073310.24976.00001287@ng-ci1.aol.com>,
>   ekoerber@aol.com (EKoerber) wrote:

> > Tenon products. However, with Mac OS X Server (available) and Mac OS
> > X (soon to be out) both build with a Unix kernel, I don't really need

> The first step in any such port would be a Gcc port to that platform.
> Does such a port exist? Porting gcc to Win32 required a project to

Yes, I believe it comes as standard, although it's a patched 2.7.x IIRC.

MacOS X is a BSD unix.

- Aidan
--
http://www.skinner.demon.co.uk/aidan/
Before asking a tech a question, think: "Does this person care? Is

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-07  0:00 ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone yet ported GNAT to run on MacOS.  Yes, I know all about the Tenon
> products.
> However, with Mac OS X Server (available) and Mac OS X (soon to be out) both
> build with
> a Unix kernel, I don't really need yet another flavor of Unix when all I want
> to do is to write
> Mac OS native applications.

If Mac OS X (non-server) is not out how can one seriously port GNAT ?
Why not wait it is out ?...

The decorative part seem very elegant http://www.apple.com/macosx/ but
maybe hard to program - many layers! From their "Core OS" it is difficult
to say if it is just bluff, an ambitious dilbertian mission statement
which will lead to a even more unusable result or finally the big coup!
Wait and see (a year more...)!

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\
http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-07  0:00   ` Arthur Evans Jr
From: Arthur Evans Jr @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <389E22C5.9929DC65@maths.unine.ch>, Gautier
<gautier.demontmollin@maths.unine.ch> wrote:

> If Mac OS X (non-server) is not out how can one seriously port GNAT ?

Developers have long had access to Mac OS X.

Jim?

Art Evans

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-07  0:00     ` Gautier
From: Gautier @ 2000-02-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > If Mac OS X (non-server) is not out how can one seriously port GNAT ?

> Developers have long had access to Mac OS X.

Interesting. Another question: which range of Macintoshes will be
upgradable to Mac OS X? Every Power Mac or more recent machines?
The underlying question is: for the next years, wouldn't be worth
to develop a GNAT for Mac OS 8+ (the "Classic" one...) ? - Just curious...

--
Gautier

_____\\________________\_______\

@ 2000-02-08  0:00       ` EKoerber
From: EKoerber @ 2000-02-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

You can figure that all G3 and G4 Macs will be able to run Mac OS X.
After that, it gets less clear (unless there is more info somewhere that
I haven't seen yet).  I would be VERY surprised to see Mac OS X run
on NuBus PowerMacs.

* Re: GNAT for Macintosh
@ 2000-02-09  0:00         ` james hopper
From: james hopper @ 2000-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <20000207235437.23586.00001679@ng-fu1.aol.com>, EKoerber
<ekoerber@aol.com> wrote:

> You can figure that all G3 and G4 Macs will be able to run Mac OS X.
> After that, it gets less clear (unless there is more info somewhere that
> I haven't seen yet).  I would be VERY surprised to see Mac OS X run
> on NuBus PowerMacs.

sorry i have been on the road again (still am)  When iam not working,
soaking up the sun here in warm and cheery phoenix!

Anyway Ada of mac is this as far as i know (which is most of whats
going on):

1. gnat port is up to date using tenon.  codebuilder can be another
unix but i use it pretty much the same way i use MPW (apples
develoipment environment for mac).  you can build mac apps and learn
very littel unix.

2. Mac OS X
         - i have had it for ove a year (maybe more like 2) as various
betas however the gcc on it sucks to put it kindly for doing gnat.
until recently the only choice was 2.7.2 version which was pretty hard
to work with when doing a cross compiler etc.  its been a long time
since you could build gnat from 2.7.2.

i talked several times to folks inside apple in charge of gcc and they
seem to feel that it was going to be a lot of work to move to 2.8.1.
howver eventually they did do a port to egcs which is part of darwin.
however you cant build gnat with this version of egcs, at least i cant.
i am sure act could so if someone has some bucks you could talk to
them.

i am waiting for gcc 3.0 to come out and hoping that apple does a port
to it for os x.  then i will have a base to do the port of gnat.  right
now i wouldnt be holding my breath for gnat to be available anytime
soon.

as far as waiting for OS X as you mention you are aware that your are
looking at this summer/fall before its going to be real available even
if i get the port done, unless you become and developer and sign apples
seed agreement.

anyway thats where it stands now.  if you want to do ada in the short
term get codebuilder and use it like mpw as a developmen env. with mac
based tools like bbedit/alpha, etc.

jim