* Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 1992-10-23 19:23 cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!wupost!csus.edu!netc
From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!uwm.edu!wupost!csus.edu!netc @ 1992-10-23 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the risk of appearing to be a complete dolt, I ask, "Just what is rate
monotonic analysis?"  I noted that a tutorial on this subject will be
offered at this year's TRI-Ada and did not understand the description of
the tutorial one whit!

Regards, Mikey (michael.hagerty@nitelog.com)

 * JABBER v1.3B1 #B042 * Old age is preferable to the alternative.

* Re: Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 1992-10-24 19:04 Alex Blakemore
From: Alex Blakemore @ 1992-10-24 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <476.237.uupcb@nitelog.com> michael.hagerty@nitelog.com (Michael Hag
erty) writes:
> At the risk of appearing to be a complete dolt, I ask, "Just what is rate
> monotonic analysis?"  I noted that a tutorial on this subject will be
> offered at this year's TRI-Ada and did not understand the description of
> the tutorial one whit!

rate monotonic analysis is a simple way to prove (ideally) that
a real time system will meet its deadlines.  It depends on a preemptive
priority based scheduler and an assignment of static priorities based on
timing requirements, not semantic importance.

Its a great advance in hard real-time design methods, and it works in practice.

its been extended to handle binary semaphores - most especially in the
priority ceiling protocol (PCP).  The main problem this protocol reduces is
that of priority inheritance.  There are extensions to deal with distributed sy
stems,
and other complications.  the theory gets more complex as you relax more
of the original simplyfing assumptions.

Ada9X supports RMS and PCP, Ada83 can with support from the compiler and a libe
ral
interpretation of some of the overly restrictive Ada83 scheduling rules.

Alex Blakemore alex@cs.umd.edu   NeXT mail accepted

* Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 2000-02-02  0:00 Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-02-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just got my copy of a new book by Dan Roy and Loic Briand titled

  Meeting Deadlines in Hard Real-Time Systems:
      The Rate Monotonic Approach

Many of the examples are in Ada.  Some of you old timers will
remember Dan Roy as an Ada stalwart from the Software Engineering
Institute.  The book is published by IEEE Computer Society.
ISBN is 0-8186-7406-7.

I am enjoying it as late-at-night bedtime reading.  Lots of fun.

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com

* Re: Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 2000-02-02  0:00 ` Marin D. Condic
From: Marin D. Condic @ 2000-02-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard D Riehle wrote:

> Just got my copy of a new book by Dan Roy and Loic Briand titled
>
>   Meeting Deadlines in Hard Real-Time Systems:
>       The Rate Monotonic Approach

Can you find the book at Fry's? ;-) Seriously: You mentioned at one
point a bookstore in the San Jose area that you thought well of. Is this
available in some bookstore or is the best bet to go to Amazon?

MDC
Marin David Condic   - Quadrus Corporation -   1.800.555.3393
1015-116 Atlantic Boulevard, Atlantic Beach, FL 32233
http://www.quadruscorp.com/
m c o n d i c @ q u a d r u s c o r p . c o m

Visit my web site at:  http://www.mcondic.com/

"Capitalism without failure is like religion without sin."
        --  Allan Meltzer, Economist

* Re: Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 2000-02-02  0:00   ` Richard D Riehle
From: Richard D Riehle @ 2000-02-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3898680C.A32B29F1@quadruscorp.com>,
	"Marin D. Condic" <mcondic-nospam@quadruscorp.com> wrote:

>>   Meeting Deadlines in Hard Real-Time Systems:
>>       The Rate Monotonic Approach

>Can you find the book at Fry's? ;-) Seriously: You mentioned at one
>point a bookstore in the San Jose area that you thought well of. Is this
>available in some bookstore or is the best bet to go to Amazon?

I would doubt that Fry's would carry this kind of book.  The buyer
there has a very narrow range of software experience.  Also, Fry's
is pretty much a toy store for techies, not a serious place for
buying books (or much else, in my opinion). I purchased my copy at
Stanford Book Store, the off-campus store on University Avenue.
I suspect you can order it through http://www.fatbrain.com as well.

Spent another hour with it last night.  Really enjoying it. I will
probably use it as the text for some tasking seminar in the future.

Richard Riehle
richard@adaworks.com

* Re: Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 2000-02-09  0:00 ` james hopper
From: james hopper @ 2000-02-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Its at Amazon.com for $56.  jim

@ 2000-02-16  0:00   ` Ken Garlington
From: Ken Garlington @ 2000-02-16  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want a cheaper (which, of course, means less powerful :) introduction
to RMA, I might suggest

http://data.uta.edu/~ramesh/cse5326/

Marin D. Condic wrote in message <3898680C.A32B29F1@quadruscorp.com>...
>Richard D Riehle wrote:
>>
>> Just got my copy of a new book by Dan Roy and Loic Briand titled
>>
>>   Meeting Deadlines in Hard Real-Time Systems:
>>       The Rate Monotonic Approach
>>
>Can you find the book at Fry's? ;-)

* Rate Monotonic Analysis
@ 2002-01-08  7:17 le
From: le @ 2002-01-08  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know a good software to the computing of the RMA (Rate Monotonic
Analysis) given the caracteristics of the ADA code and the hardwere used?
Thanks