From: Mark Lorenzen <mark.lorenzen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cygwin grpbuild problems
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 06:30:05 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2016-10-17T06:30:05-07:00	[thread overview]

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 3:11:51 PM UTC+2, Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> > Did you declare the used languages in the project file?
>
> I am using Ada and I expect the dedicated Ada tool to somehow figure this out. Especially in a project where the source directory contains *only* Ada files.

As I understand it, gnatmake was an Ada-only builder and it was not possible (or necessary) to declare the list of used languages. Gprbuild is a multi-language builder.

The only times I have seen the error message you posted, was when I had forgotten to declare the languages used. When adding the following line it worked fine:

for Languages use ("Ada");

However the gprbuild manual (http://docs.adacore.com/gprbuild-docs/html/gprbuild_ug.html) hints that it shouldn't be necessary when it is an ada-only project (see section 2.2.1).

As Dmitry mentionen you should have an Ada compiler in your PATH in order for gprbuild to find it.

> Most importantly, this project compiled without problems on another platform. I remember not long ago (actually, this is a recurring subject) we have been discussing the advantages of Ada in the area of long-term maintenance and portability. Ada, the language, might have some nice features here, but gnatmake/gprbuild spoil this in a big way.

I don't know what problems you have encountered using gprbuild, but we are happy with it. We haven't tried to port an existing project to a new platform though.

Regards,

Mark L