From: Mark Lorenzen <mark.lorenzen@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Aggregate GPRs
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 01:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2015-09-07T01:41:36-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sunday, August 30, 2015 at 7:24:01 PM UTC+2, Simon Wright wrote:
> I see from the documentation[1] that, for projects built through the
> aggregate project, package Builder is ignored (even if the aggregate
> project doesn't have a package Builder?).
>
> I've just found (with GPRBUILD GPL 2015) that the attributes Target and
> Runtime are also ignored!

I think this is reasonable. When aggregating several projects into an aggregate project, it is natural that they are build for the same target and same RTS. No?

> These features seem to me to reduce the usefulness of aggregate projects
> to the point of uselessness. Does anyone have positive experiences with
> them?

Yes. We use an aggregate project to set an environment variable (LDSCRIPT) that is used by the linker to locate the linker script. The value is derived from a scenario variable and it would thus not be easy to set it in the shell before invoking GPS or command-line tools. The aggregate project is thus a simple wrapper around the "real" project.

Regards,

Mark L