From: "Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Using interfaces
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 20:06:15 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-06-02T20:06:15-07:00	[thread overview]

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 9:11:50 PM UTC-5, Shark8 wrote:
> On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 12:43:34 PM UTC-6, Dan'l Miller wrote:
> >
> > For example, in many modern programming languages, Ada included, there is a natural tension between the OO feature-set and the generic/parameterized-types feature-set as 2 nearly duplicated ways of accomplishing analogous goals.
>
> No.
> OOP and Generics are orthogonal in  their goals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lv2lBq6x4A

Orthogonal.  Hence the lambda cube's 90° angles in the corners. ;-P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambda_cube

the orthogonal axes in the coordinate system

run-time •polymorphism•:  values depending on types
λ2

compile-time •polymorphism• (a.k.a. parametric •polymorphism•) in generics:  types depending on types
λω_

multistage programming (source-code generators):  types depending on values
λΠ

permitting the pairwise and threesome combination thereof for a semantic vector system of expressivity in next-gen programming languages

> The amount of time/energy spent "fixing C" (and C++) is truly astounding.
> I wonder how well-off Ada would be if even 1/10th of that energy had been put into addressing Ada's
> weaknesses, like (eg) few libraries, not as many tools, etc.

It is truly is sad.