* A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-06 11:04 John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-06 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Does anyone have a PDF of the ARM formatted for A4 paper? Couldn't
find one on the net (but I may not have looked as hard as I could
have!).

John

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-06 17:06 ` Lucretia
From: Lucretia @ 2008-05-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 May, 12:04, John McCabe <j...@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have a PDF of the ARM formatted for A4 paper? Couldn't
> find one on the net (but I may not have looked as hard as I could
> have!).
>
> John

Do they distribute the LaTeX source? If they do, it's trivial to
generate an A4 document.

Luke.

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-06 18:19 ` anon
From: anon @ 2008-05-06 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

The PDFs can be found for Ada 83/95 and a link for Ada 2005 at

http://www.adaic.com/standards/articles/lrm.html

But they are formatted for US paper size.  You can use a PDF converter
to alter the document the paper size and other formats.

For me, I just adjust the printer setup in my PDF program when I need
A4 standards

In <ine024htga377qbckv04necho5h6rt5o7f@4ax.com>, John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>Hi
>
>Does anyone have a PDF of the ARM formatted for A4 paper? Couldn't
>find one on the net (but I may not have looked as hard as I could
>have!).
>
>John

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-06 20:47   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2008-05-06 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anon

anon a �crit :
> The PDFs can be found for Ada 83/95 and a link for Ada 2005 at
>
> http://www.adaic.com/standards/articles/lrm.html
>
> But they are formatted for US paper size.  You can use a PDF converter
> to alter the document the paper size and other formats.
>
> For me, I just adjust the printer setup in my PDF program when I need
> A4 standards

Printer? The ARM is so huge that I won't waste my paper for that
especially since it will be a big stack when printed. Not very easy to
handler... I would order the ARM if the goal is to have it on paper. I
enjoy the printed edition of the ARM, printed on very thin paper it is
not that big.

Just my 2 cents.

Pascal.

--|              http://www.obry.net
--|

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-06 20:48 ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-05-06 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't think any such thing exists (and surely not officially). The ARM is
formatted for a non-standard paper size (7x9") which was adopted for some
reason for Ada 95. The AARM is formatted for US 8 1/2x11 paper (but it's
unofficial in any case).

The best way to get a printed copy is the buy the Springer edition.

If you have more time than money, you could make one yourself:
(1) Download and compile the formatting tool (its found on ada-auth.org).
(2) Download the input source for the ARM.
(3) Generate an RTF form of the ARM.
(4) Load that into Word 2003 (other word processors *may* work, but only
Word 97 and Word 2003 are *known* to work [and Word 2000 is known *not* to
work]. I'll be trying OpenOffice 2.4 the next time I need to work on the
ARM).
(5) Set the page size to A4.
(6) Apply the half-dozen hand patches. Regenerate the table-of-contents.
(7) Save in some other format than .rtf (saving as .rtf crashes every
version of Word ever tried).
(8) Output as PDF using your favorite PDF writer.

If you have neither time nor money, forget the paper and use the HTML
format; it is better anyway (because it has links).

                             Randy.

"John McCabe" <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Does anyone have a PDF of the ARM formatted for A4 paper? Couldn't
> find one on the net (but I may not have looked as hard as I could
> have!).
>
> John

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-07  9:33     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-07  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 06 May 2008 22:47:57 +0200, Pascal Obry <pascal@obry.net>
wrote:

>anon a �crit :
>> The PDFs can be found for Ada 83/95 and a link for Ada 2005 at
>>
>> http://www.adaic.com/standards/articles/lrm.html
>>
>> But they are formatted for US paper size.  You can use a PDF converter
>> to alter the document the paper size and other formats.
>>
>> For me, I just adjust the printer setup in my PDF program when I need
>> A4 standards
>
>Printer? The ARM is so huge that I won't waste my paper for that
>especially since it will be a big stack when printed. Not very easy to
>handler...

It's fine if you comb bind it!

>I would order the ARM if the goal is to have it on paper.

It's expensive to buy, especially if it's not a language you're
currently using, and hence your company won't buy it for you :-)

>I enjoy the printed edition of the ARM, printed on very thin paper it is
>not that big.
>
>Just my 2 cents.
>
>Pascal.

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-07  9:38   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-07  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:48:20 -0500, "Randy Brukardt"
<randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:

>I don't think any such thing exists (and surely not officially). The ARM is
>formatted for a non-standard paper size (7x9") which was adopted for some
>reason for Ada 95.

Book size presumably.

>The AARM is formatted for US 8 1/2x11 paper (but it's
>unofficial in any case).

Doesn't save any pages!

>The best way to get a printed copy is the buy the Springer edition.

>If you have more time than money, you could make one yourself:
>(1) Download and compile the formatting tool (its found on ada-auth.org).

<..snip..>

Thanks for that suggestion, I may just do that (in my spare time of
course :-) I was hoping someone else would already have done it
though!

>(6) Apply the half-dozen hand patches. Regenerate the table-of-contents.

Are the half-dozen hand patches described anywhere?

>If you have neither time nor money, forget the paper and use the HTML
>format; it is better anyway (because it has links).

I wouldn't say "better", just "different" :-) Even after donkeys years
of working with computers, I still find it much easier to use printed
matter than online documentation.

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-07 10:25   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-07 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 6 May 2008 10:06:06 -0700 (PDT), Lucretia
<lucretia9@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

>On 6 May, 12:04, John McCabe <j...@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Does anyone have a PDF of the ARM formatted for A4 paper? Couldn't
>> find one on the net (but I may not have looked as hard as I could
>> have!).
>>
>> John
>
>Do they distribute the LaTeX source? If they do, it's trivial to
>generate an A4 document.

It's not LaTeX as far as I know, but they do distribute the source
with a formatter.

http://www.ada-auth.org/arm.html

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-07 10:27   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-07 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

<randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:

>(4) Load that into Word 2003 (other word processors *may* work, but only
>Word 97 and Word 2003 are *known* to work [and Word 2000 is known *not* to
>work]. I'll be trying OpenOffice 2.4 the next time I need to work on the
>ARM).

I've just tried OpenOffice 2.4 with the RTF created, it just hangs as
far as I can see - I had to kill it off. Maybe it will work better on
a non-Microsoft platform, or one with more than 1GB of RAM :-)

* Use Adobe PDF Converter (Re: A4 formatted ARM?)
@ 2008-05-07 11:53     ` anon
From: anon @ 2008-05-07 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

The PDF Converter is Acrobat Professional 8.1
or the Standard version.  Both allow free download
trial versions.

Check System Requirement for version.

Since your only converting this document. Download a trial version
and use it to convert the current AARM version to use A4 paper.
Save the new version and print when you have the time!

@ 2008-05-07 12:19     ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-07 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 May 2008 10:38:49 +0100, John McCabe
<john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>(6) Apply the half-dozen hand patches. Regenerate the table-of-contents.

>Are the half-dozen hand patches described anywhere?

This is what I've found - note that I changed copied RM.MSM to
RMA4.MSM and changed:

@RTFPageSize{Ada95}

@RTFPageSize{A4}

Hence it may be that some paragraph numbers, such as that in item 10
below, may be different for you as it looks like that one's due to a
page break.

1: Paragraph 6/2 (Introduction) - "Design Goals". Need to format the
paragraph number (6/2) frame so that the horizontal distance from the
text is 0cm.

2: Paragraph 61 (Introduction) - "Instructions for Comment Submission"
section. Need to format the paragraph number (61) frame so that the
horizontal distance from the text is 0cm.

3: Paragraph 60/2 (Introduction) - "Instructions for Comment
Submission" section. Need to format the paragraph number (60/2) frame
so that the horizontal distance from the text is 0cm. NOTE: Item 2
needs to be done first!!!

4: Paragraph 71.4/2 (Introduction) - Need to format the paragraph
number (71.4/2) frame so that the horizontal distance from the text is
0cm.

5: "Information technology - Programming Languages - Ada". Need to
format the paragraph and set the line spacing to "At Least" instead of
"Exactly" (13pt).

6: Paragraph 24 (1.1.2 Structure)" - Need to format the paragraph
number (24) to have spacing before of 4pt instead of 10pt (note, not
the paragraph frame this time).

7: Paragraph 10 (1.1.4 Method of Description and Syntax Notation) -
Need to format the paragraph number frame so that the horizontal
distance from the text is 0cm.

8: Paragraph 12 (1.1.4 Method of Description and Syntax Notation) -
Need to format the paragraph number frame so that the horizontal
distance from the text is 0cm.

9: Paragraph 14 (1.1.4 Method of Description and Syntax Notation) -
Need to format the paragraph number frame so that the horizontal
distance from the text is 0cm.

10: Paragraph 8.2 (12 Normative Reference) - Need to format the
paragraph number frame so that the horizontal distance from the text
is 0cm (which will take it on to the page that the text is on), then
put it back to 0.26cm (which will align it properly. Note this may be
because of the position MS Word decides for the page break, so you may
get this somewhere else.

11: Paragraph 8.2 (2.3 Identifiers) - Need to format the paragraph
number frame so that the horizontal distance from the text is 0cm.

Ok - any more "Need to format the paragraph number frame ... " are
ignored - you'll just have to find them for yourself.

Actually... I gave up on doing it by hand. The following macro in word
will reformat all of the frames so that their horizontal distance from
text is 0cm. Seems to look ok on both sides (the main problem was on
right hand side pages!)

Sub ReformatFrames()
    Dim nextFrame As Frame

    For Each nextFrame In Application.ActiveDocument.Frames
        nextFrame.Select
        nextFrame.HorizontalDistanceFromText = CentimetersToPoints(0)
    Next nextFrame
End Sub

If I find any other odd bits, I'll let you know.

John

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-07 23:06     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-05-07 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:48:20 -0500, "Randy Brukardt"
> <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
>>(6) Apply the half-dozen hand patches. Regenerate the table-of-contents.
>
> Are the half-dozen hand patches described anywhere?

Sure, in some private notes I keep for myself. ;-)

There were a couple of things that I couldn't get the formatter to do right,
or just were not worth the effort of fixing. Thus a few hand patches after
the fact.

Here's what I found:

  K(16/2) Add a tab, remove "This paragraph was deleted".
  K(277.10/2): Change number frame width to 0.34in.
  1 (header): Change line heights of header lines to 14pt.
  Repage TOC.

Looks like I got the other ones fixed. Only the first one is significant at
all.

                                             Randy,

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-07 23:14       ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2008-05-07 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

> This is what I've found - note that I changed copied RM.MSM to
> RMA4.MSM and changed:
>
> @RTFPageSize{Ada95}

> @RTFPageSize{A4}
>
> Hence it may be that some paragraph numbers, such as that in item 10
> below, may be different for you as it looks like that one's due to a
> page break.
>
> 1: Paragraph 6/2 (Introduction) - "Design Goals". Need to format the
> paragraph number (6/2) frame so that the horizontal distance from the
> text is 0cm.

Looks like there isn't enough space for the paragraph numbers. That's not
totally surprising; the ISO versions which use that A4 template don't have
paragraph numbers so there hasn't been any reason to check that part of the
layout.

> I've just tried OpenOffice 2.4 with the RTF created, it just hangs as
> far as I can see - I had to kill it off. Maybe it will work better on
> a non-Microsoft platform, or one with more than 1GB of RAM :-)

Darn. I'm not completely surprised, I suspect from the behavior of Word that
there is something wrong with the generated RTF, but since there is no
information about it at all (the only error that you can get is a failure of
it to load or a crash or hang) it's not clear how to figure out the problem.
I'm pretty sure the problem is with the horrific RTF required to generate
tables, but that it about all I can tell since the RTF requires repeating
the entire setup in every cell, which makes the result completely
unreadable. Of course, it works with Word (but not completely, since you
can't save it as RTF), so there wasn't much point in continuing to hack on
it.

I'll have to try to figure that out someday, but there isn't a huge rush (no
new standards for a while, I think).

                                                 Randy.

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-08 12:17       ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-08 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 7 May 2008 18:06:17 -0500, "Randy Brukardt"
<randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:

>"John McCabe" <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 6 May 2008 15:48:20 -0500, "Randy Brukardt"
>> <randy@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
>>>(6) Apply the half-dozen hand patches. Regenerate the table-of-contents.
>>
>> Are the half-dozen hand patches described anywhere?
>
>Sure, in some private notes I keep for myself. ;-)
>
>There were a couple of things that I couldn't get the formatter to do right,
>or just were not worth the effort of fixing. Thus a few hand patches after
>the fact.
>
>Here's what I found:
>
>  K(16/2) Add a tab, remove "This paragraph was deleted".
>  K(277.10/2): Change number frame width to 0.34in.
>  1 (header): Change line heights of header lines to 14pt.
>  Repage TOC.
>
>Looks like I got the other ones fixed. Only the first one is significant at
>all.

Thanks for that. I did the first and third one, but the second one
meant the "/2" went on to the next line so I abandoned that (as it
seemed to be 0.4" to start with!).

Anyway - the fruits of my labours are now available at:

http://www.assen.demon.co.uk/AdaRMA4/

Hope this is useful to someone!

John

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-08 12:47         ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2008-05-08 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Anyway - the fruits of my labours are now available at:
>
> http://www.assen.demon.co.uk/AdaRMA4/
>
> Hope this is useful to someone!
>
> John

A small request: the link "Reduced RM on A4 Paper - 697 pages"
links to a JPG, not pdf. Changing JPG to pdf finds the correct
file.

--
Anders

* Re: A4 formatted ARM?
@ 2008-05-08 15:33           ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-08 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 08 May 2008 12:47:26 GMT, Anders Wirzenius
<anders@no.email.thanks.invalid> wrote:

>John McCabe <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Anyway - the fruits of my labours are now available at:
>>
>> http://www.assen.demon.co.uk/AdaRMA4/
>>
>> Hope this is useful to someone!
>>
>> John
>
>A small request: the link "Reduced RM on A4 Paper - 697 pages"
>links to a JPG, not pdf. Changing JPG to pdf finds the correct
>file.

Oops - sorry. cut-and-paste error there! Now sorted.

* Re: Use Adobe PDF Converter (Re: A4 formatted ARM?)
@ 2008-05-16 11:48       ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2008-05-16 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 07 May 2008 11:53:27 GMT, anon@anon.org (anon) wrote:

>The PDF Converter is Acrobat Professional 8.1
>or the Standard version.  Both allow free download
>trial versions.
>
>Check System Requirement for version.
>
>Since your only converting this document. Download a trial version
>and use it to convert the current AARM version to use A4 paper.
>Save the new version and print when you have the time!

Thanks for that suggestion.