From: Adam Beneschan <adam@irvine.com>
Subject: Re: Any Ada in this? Or would Ada have helped Toyota save $2b?...
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:14:47 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-02-04T08:14:47-08:00	[thread overview]

On Feb 4, 4:47 am, Martin <martin.do...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> It's states that this is a software problem but doesn't give
> details...anyone know anything about this?

I was wondering the same thing; since the acceleration and brakes are
actually controlled by computer (from what I've read), I was wondering
what language was used to develop the software.  However: (1) the
linked article is mostly about flaws in the braking system, which has
not yet cost Toyota anywhere near $2B; (2) I can't find anywhere where
the article refers to a software problem (thus, I have no idea what
you mean by "[It] states that this is a software problem"); (3) I've
seen some rumblings that the accelerator problems is caused by the
electronics rather than a sticky gas pedal as Toyota is currently
claiming, but this doesn't necessarily mean a software problem.  It
could be a hardware design problem in which the hardware isn't able to
sufficiently withstand electronic interference, or something like
that.  And if that's the case, Ada certainly can't do anything to
help.

                                       -- Adam