* ANN: Simple components v3.2 ODBC bindings support
@ 2012-10-14 15:16 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2012-10-14 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recent discussion in comp.lang.ada indicated that GNADE ODBC is no longer
maintained. Presently GNADE ODBC cannot be used with 64-bit applications
because it failed to follow the changes in the ODBC Microsoft made to
support these.

So, I created new ODBC bindings which are now a part of the Simple
Components:

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm

The bindings consist of two parts.

The thin bindings closely follow C API. They are barely useful, because of
being very low-level.

Thick bindings (thicker than ones provided by GNADE ODBC) take away dealing
with ODBC handles through controlled types, provide means to binding
parameters and columns, to handle transactions and cursors. ODBC
attributes, information, diagnostic records etc can be accessed as plain
calls. Thick bindings are fully documented.

The library is packaged for Fedora and Linux, both 32- and 64-bit.

Simple Components is kept compatible to Ada 95.

The bindings were so far tested with MS Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL ODBC
drivers. See the test_odbc_bindings.adb if you want to test other drivers
and check the capacities of a given DBMS.

Suggestions and bug reports are as always welcome.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ANN: Simple components v3.2 ODBC bindings support
@ 2012-10-14 19:45 ` Graham Stark
From: Graham Stark @ 2012-10-14 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mailbox

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 4:16:30 PM UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> Recent discussion in comp.lang.ada indicated that GNADE ODBC is no longer
>
> maintained. Presently GNADE ODBC cannot be used with 64-bit applications
>
> because it failed to follow the changes in the ODBC Microsoft made to
>
> support these.
>

> So, I created new ODBC bindings which are now a part of the Simple
>
> Components:
>

> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm
>

> The bindings consist of two parts.
>

> The thin bindings closely follow C API. They are barely useful, because of
>
> being very low-level.
>

> Thick bindings (thicker than ones provided by GNADE ODBC) take away dealing
>
> with ODBC handles through controlled types, provide means to binding
>
> parameters and columns, to handle transactions and cursors. ODBC
>
> attributes, information, diagnostic records etc can be accessed as plain
>
> calls. Thick bindings are fully documented.
>

> The library is packaged for Fedora and Linux, both 32- and 64-bit.
>

> Simple Components is kept compatible to Ada 95.
>

> The bindings were so far tested with MS Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL ODBC
>
> drivers. See the test_odbc_bindings.adb if you want to test other drivers
>
> and check the capacities of a given DBMS.
>

> Suggestions and bug reports are as always welcome.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

That looks great! I actually made a start on this, too, but got nowhere near this.

* Re: ANN: Simple components v3.2 ODBC bindings support
@ 2013-02-08 13:06 ` Multiplayer1080
From: Multiplayer1080 @ 2013-02-08 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: mailbox

Great work! I will test it!

* Re: ANN: Simple components v3.2 ODBC bindings support
@ 2013-03-26 11:06 ` tonyg
From: tonyg @ 2013-03-26 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday, 14 October 2012 16:16:30 UTC+1, Dmitry A. Kazakov  wrote:
> Recent discussion in comp.lang.ada indicated that GNADE ODBC is no longer
>
> maintained. Presently GNADE ODBC cannot be used with 64-bit applications
>
> because it failed to follow the changes in the ODBC Microsoft made to
>
> support these.
>

> So, I created new ODBC bindings which are now a part of the Simple
>
> Components:
>

> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm
>

> The bindings consist of two parts.
>

> The thin bindings closely follow C API. They are barely useful, because of
>
> being very low-level.
>

> Thick bindings (thicker than ones provided by GNADE ODBC) take away dealing
>
> with ODBC handles through controlled types, provide means to binding
>
> parameters and columns, to handle transactions and cursors. ODBC
>
> attributes, information, diagnostic records etc can be accessed as plain
>
> calls. Thick bindings are fully documented.
>

> The library is packaged for Fedora and Linux, both 32- and 64-bit.
>

> Simple Components is kept compatible to Ada 95.
>

> The bindings were so far tested with MS Access, MySQL, PostgreSQL ODBC
>
> drivers. See the test_odbc_bindings.adb if you want to test other drivers
>
> and check the capacities of a given DBMS.
>

> Suggestions and bug reports are as always welcome.
>

> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Great News, I was a little worried with the current situation on those bindings after our conversation on them.