* Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-01-28 11:06 Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2019-01-28 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Brothers and Sisters in Ada!

I know Ada is created for software engineering, so slightly off tonic:

What documents would You recommend for software / system architecture?

Greetings from
Jesper Q

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-01-28 19:06 ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2019-01-28 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 6:06:27 AM UTC-5, Jesper Quorning wrote:
> Hello Brothers and Sisters in Ada!
>

> I know Ada is created for software engineering, so slightly off tonic:
>
> What documents would You recommend for software / system architecture?
>

> Greetings from
> Jesper Q

Check the books section here : https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada

Else, this book https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781848823136 is spot on.

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-01-29 22:52 ` Chris M Moore
From: Chris M Moore @ 2019-01-29 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28/01/2019 11:06, Jesper Quorning wrote:

> Hello Brothers and Sisters in Ada!
>

> I know Ada is created for software engineering, so slightly off tonic:
>
> What documents would You recommend for software / system architecture?
>

> Greetings from
> Jesper Q

I don't know much about system architecture.  Google SysML and MBSE?

I know what I mean by software architecture.  The question is what do
you mean!  There's soft and woolly architecture (e.g. UNIX pipes, RPC,
distributed systems) or something a little more formal like Executable
UML (xUML).

The last book I read on xUML was Models to Code: With No Mysterious Gaps
by Leon Starr.  Leon's a fine author.  It's a interesting book but the
action language is non-standard and the examples limited (C and
microcontrollers).  But it gives you a taste and won't scare you like
the OMG documents would.  ;)

--
sig pending (since 1995)

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-01-31 16:15   ` Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2019-01-31 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

mandag den 28. januar 2019 kl. 20.06.09 UTC+1 skrev Olivier Henley:

> Check the books section here : https://github.com/ohenley/awesome-ada
>
> Else, this book https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9781848823136 is spot on.

It is nice pages but all mostly about engineering (making it work / implementing a solution for a problem).
I look for architecture meaning program / system high level design / user experience and the like.

/Jesper

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-01-31 16:22   ` Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2019-01-31 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

tirsdag den 29. januar 2019 kl. 23.52.11 UTC+1 skrev Chris M Moore:

> I don't know much about system architecture.  Google SysML and MBSE?
>
> I know what I mean by software architecture.  The question is what do
> you mean!  There's soft and woolly architecture (e.g. UNIX pipes, RPC,
> distributed systems) or something a little more formal like Executable
> UML (xUML).

This I would call systems engineering.

> The last book I read on xUML was Models to Code: With No Mysterious Gaps
> by Leon Starr.  Leon's a fine author.  It's a interesting book but the
> action language is non-standard and the examples limited (C and
> microcontrollers).  But it gives you a taste and won't scare you like
> the OMG documents would.  ;)

What I mean by architecture is more like the art of making a program, not how to do some calculations and putting messages through queues and the like.

When you build a building you combine engineering for making sure it will function to do the job and an architect to make the building appealing to the customer and surroundings.

I hope this will make it more clear, what I mean by architecture..

/Jesper

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-02-04 23:16     ` Chris M Moore
From: Chris M Moore @ 2019-02-04 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 31/01/2019 16:22, Jesper Quorning wrote:
> tirsdag den 29. januar 2019 kl. 23.52.11 UTC+1 skrev Chris M Moore:

<snip>

> What I mean by architecture is more like the art of making a program, not how to do some calculations and putting messages through queues and the like.

Ah, program design.  I'm reading A Philosophy Of Software Design by John
Ousterhout at the moment.

> When you build a building you combine engineering for making sure it will function to do the job and an architect to make the building appealing to the customer and surroundings.

Or did you mean User Interface Design?  If so then you may have the
wrong group!

--
sig pending (since 1995)

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-02-09  1:54       ` Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2019-02-09  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

tirsdag den 5. februar 2019 kl. 00.16.26 UTC+1 skrev Chris M Moore:
> On 31/01/2019 16:22, Jesper Quorning wrote:
> > tirsdag den 29. januar 2019 kl. 23.52.11 UTC+1 skrev Chris M Moore:
>
> > What I mean by architecture is more like the art of making a program, not how to do some calculations and putting messages through queues and the like.
This I consider detailled design.

> Ah, program design.  I'm reading A Philosophy Of Software Design by John
> Ousterhout at the moment.
Is this book worth reading in Your oppinion?

> > When you build a building you combine engineering for making sure it will function to do the job and an architect to make the building appealing to the customer and surroundings.
>
> Or did you mean User Interface Design?  If so then you may have the
> wrong group!
I guess architecture is top level design and user experience. The detailled design is the job of the engineer. So a good resouce on top level software design and user experience.

Greetings
/J

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-02-09  2:11         ` Olivier Henley
From: Olivier Henley @ 2019-02-09  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

There is the série "the architecture of open source applications". 3 volumes. Every chapter is a different project explained by its author/s. Bough one, did not have time to read it yet though. Looks good and diverse.

http://aosabook.org/en/index.html

* Re: Best documents on software architecture
@ 2019-02-10  1:56           ` Jesper Quorning
From: Jesper Quorning @ 2019-02-10  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

lørdag den 9. februar 2019 kl. 03.11.56 UTC+1 skrev Olivier Henley:
> There is the série "the architecture of open source applications". 3 volumes. Every chapter is a different project explained by its author/s. Bough one, did not have time to read it yet though. Looks good and diverse.
>
> http://aosabook.org/en/index.html

Very interesting
This is what I look for
Thanks