From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: GNAT Programming Studio for OpenCOBOL development
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 02:13:05 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-06-05T02:13:05-07:00	[thread overview]

Brian Tiffin wrote on comp.lang.ada:
> I've been involved with the OpenCOBOL project for a little while now
> and the developer community is looking for a good IDE.  I've done some
> preliminary customizations as a plug-ins XML file; a compiler switches
> screen, some keywords for the editor highlights, a menu for running
> various compiles etc...
>
> Who should I direct questions to?

Their Subversion repository contains a public, read-only part[1]. You
can submit patches to the above mailing list and watch as they merge
them into the next version of GPS. I mirror this in Ada-France's
monotone database[2,3] and I have added tags to identify the release
branch points. If you're a fan of distributed version control systems,
you might want to use that to create and manage your patches.

[1] http://libre.adacore.com/viewvc/trunk/gps
[2] http://green.ada-france.org:8081/branch/changes/com.adacore.gps
[3] http://www.ada-france.org/article131.html

> Ok, in reality I'd like to team up OpenCOBOL with the GNAT developers
> and get these two wonderful open systems more tightly integrated.
> OpenCOBOL is quite complete and fairly robust as-is but I'm thinking a
> few more pushes and OpenCOBOL and GPS could be a good fit.  And if a
> few COBOL programmers get exposed to Ada, or Ada programmers exposed
> to COBOL, well, the more the better.

I don't think Robert Dewar is listening here on comp.lang.ada but he
might be interested; IIUC, before founding AdaCore, he used to write
COBOL compilers.

> As the keeper of the OpenCOBOL FAQ, pertinent information of what has
> been done so far can be seen athttp://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#can-the-gnat-programming-studio-be-...
> andhttp://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#can-opencobol-interface-with-ada
>
> For the curious, OpenCOBOL emits intermediate C and links nicely with
> GNAT when using gnatgcc and gnatbind -n
>
> Excuse the interruption and thanks for GPS and GNAT.

You're most welcome.

--
Ludovic Brenta.