From: Caffeine Junky <nospam@hotmail.com>
Subject: Stumbling over arrays.(A bit of a ramble. Read if your bored.)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 21:00:44 GMT
Date: 2002-10-01T21:00:44+00:00	[thread overview]

My Ada95 skills have increased dramatically in the last few months. It
seems like I'm finally getting it.

Yet, I still have a tendency to stumble over Ada's handling of arrays.
They dont intimidate me, because I know the compiler actively works to
keep me from really screwing up a data structure. Records are a piece of
cake to handle. Classes and Objects are becoming quite clear. However, I
think my past exposure to C/C++ has set certain assumptions in my mind
concerning arrays that arent necessarily true in Ada95.

I'm still a novice when it comes to programming in general, so I'm taking
the time to really get a grip on fundemental CS concepts.(Sort/Search
algorithms, the Stack, Memory managment, etc...) before moving into more
abstract areas such as Aspect Oriented/Object oriented programming, UML,
Literate Programming, etc...
Yet Ada arrays still have me going "Damnit! Why is everything so
tedious?"

So, I'm looking for suggestions on excercises I can do to help me really
internalize Ada's view of Arrays(generic, Strings, etc...). I can use
Arrays right now, but for me it's more a process of reading the compiler
messages and making adjustments to the array declaration. Sort of like
playing "Whack a mole."

Any pointers would be helpful.

NiCad