From: tmoran@acm.org
Subject: Re: need ada timer routine
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 21:51:56 GMT
Date: 2001-09-04T21:51:56+00:00	[thread overview]

> If you want to reliably send data every 50 milliseconds you want
> to use a task with a "delay until" statement in a loop.
  Assuming of course that the OS and the compiler's RTS and the hardware
talk accurately about 50 ms.  For instance, in old DOS/Windows stuff the
clock only ticked every 55 ms so that was the shortest possible delay on
simpleminded systems. You might want to compile and run my "time the
clock" routine (www.adapower.com) on your system to see just what's what.
  If necessary, you can always get weird and do things like plaing a
50 ms sound file and depending essentially on the interrupt at the end
to wake your routine.

> > For my Visual C I did "m_timer = SetTimer(1, 50, NULL);"  This now calls a
> > built in API OnTimer(UINT nIDEvent) every 50 millisec.   Need something like
  The same thing of course applies here.  Just because a parameter is
specified as "milliseconds" doesn't necessarily mean the OS actually
pays attention.