From: Jere <jhb.chat@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Incomplete type generic formal interactions with Implicit_Dereference
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 14:22:55 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2018-01-20T14:22:55-08:00	[thread overview]

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 3:25:34 PM UTC-5, Simon Wright wrote:
> Jere writes:
>
> > At some point it led to a crash in GNAT, which I reported to AdaCore,
> > and they said they fixed it in a future rev (side note, do I need to
> > report that to the FSF team as well and how if so?).
>
> I don't know how many FSF GNAT contributors aren't AdaCore people, but
> it's not many! This sort of problem (deep in the compiler) isn't very
> likely to be solved by non-AdaCore folk.
>
> I've always felt uncomfortable when I report a bug to AdaCore (which
> won't contain proprietary info, since I don't have any) that no one else
> can see it. Not sure how reporting it to FSF as well as to AdaCore would
> be received; I try to go for one or the other.
>
> In any case, FSF won't accept reports on GNAT GPL (any more than AdaCore
> will accept reports on FSF GCC): you'd need to make sure the bug also
> happened with FSF GCC.
>
> To report a GNAT bug to FSF, set up an account on GCC Bugzilla
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/index.cgi>, and raise the bug on Product:
> gcc, Component: ada.

There were actually two bugs.
One occurred on both GNAT GPL 2017 and GNAT FSF 7.2 on mingw64/msys2 x86_64
A second one only affected GNAT FSF 7.2 on mingw64/msys2 x86_64

The odd thing is for the second bug, GNAT GPL is 6.3, while the FSF is 7.2,
yet the bug was fixed for the GPL version (6.3) and not the FSF version (7.2).

I also wasn't sure if I should have reported the bug to FSF directly or to
the maker of the mingw64 port of it.  Based on your reply, it sounds like
I should report that second one to FSF directly?  Given that they don't seem
to be incorporating bug fixes from GPL into FSF, I am concerned that the first
bug I submitted to Adacore may not get fixed in the FSF version. It might,
I just don't know since one of the bugs is fixed in an earlier version of
GNAT but not a later version.