From: Chris <calc@internode.on.net>
Subject: Re: Ada as a first language
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 23:08:36 +1100
Date: 2009-03-23T23:08:36+11:00	[thread overview]

Hi All,

mockturtle, "gun for mosquitoes" was definitely what I was thinking, as
well as am I making it harder on my self than I need to. From what you
have described as your use fo ada, that is where I would like to get to.
being able to script things for work would be beneficial

Brian D, thanks for your perspective on ada and the tip on AVR-ada. I
found the sourceforge project for it, it even had a wiki with a couple
of little tutorials. As far as other embedded tutorials/guides, not to
much. Its funny I can find lots of references to it, but not much actual
documentation.

Brian S, thanks for your views. Right now I'm just looking to get
started with software. Ive been working on a VTOL RC aircraft for a
while, and I would like to, eventually, intergrate sensors, auto pilot,
ect... down the line.

Jacob, thanks for the reminder about John McCormick's course, I had read
  his paper from a link on this group, I will try to get in touch with him.

The problem that I've got now is that I really like Ada. It may sound
silly, but the clear syntax makes it so much easier to see what's going
on in the program. And for a person with limited experience, that's a
massive help.
I also think that good structure, and best practice are the only way to
do something, even if it is as a hobby. All my home projects I structure
and document as if it were a commercial project. While it takes more
time, it means that the data from the project is always available in the
future.

I also found an IDE for ada on the lego mindstorms RCX
http://www.usafa.af.mil/df/dfcs/adamindstorms.cfm in case anyone is
interested.

For now I'm going to keep plugging away with ada. If anyone has any good
beginners books they can recommend, it would be greatly appreciated.

Christian