* Re: CORBA, java and ada
       [not found] <358700B3.F00F6171@fiu.edu>
@ 1998-06-17  0:00 ` Jean-Claude Mahieux
From: Jean-Claude Mahieux @ 1998-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

for CORBA and and Ada95, look at Top Graph'X Ada95 implementation
of CORBA
See http://www.topgraphx.com

@ 1998-06-17  0:00 ` Tanguy PERENNOU
From: Tanguy PERENNOU @ 1998-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Espinal <lespin03@fiu.edu> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> sorry if this is out of the newsgroup context. Does anybody
> know of:
>
> 1) a CORBA package or IDL compiler that provides an Ada mapping
> for CORBA,
>
> 2) a java-to-ada or ada-to-java converter or
>
> 3) a compiler that takes ada source and compiles it into
> java bytecode.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> Luis Espinal.
>
> ps.
> if they are free, the better:)

Hello,

as far as I know there are only a few Ada mappings for CORBA:

        - ANSA and APM ltd. provide an Ada83 mapping that might be get freely
          via the Eurocontrol Web site
          (see http://www.eurocontrol.fr/projects/arh-spv_ext/comp/)
        - IONA provides an Ada95 mapping via the Object Interface company and
          its ORBexpress product (see http://www.ois.com)
        - TRW provides an Ada95 mapping in the UNAS ORB
          (see http://www.trw.com)
        - Top Graph'X provides an Ada95 mapping in its ORB
          (see http://www.topgraphx.com)
        - ADEPT is an educational project and has an Ada95 mapping
          and some Java features (see http://www.cs.tamu.edu/research/ADEPT/)

If anyone knows of other products I would be very happy to hear about them.

A couple of somewhat related question: Are there any
books/articles/tutorials dedicated to Object-Oriented Programming with
Ada95 ? Is there one of them meant for Ada83 programmers that also
know well OO programming ?

-- Tanguy

Dr. Tanguy PERENNOU

C.E.N.A. (French Research Centre in Air Traffic Management)
  Address : CENA, 7 Avenue Edouard Belin, BP 4005, 31055 Toulouse CEDEX, FRANCE
  E-mail  : perennou@cenatls.cena.dgac.fr
  Tel.    : +33 5 62 25 95 16
  Fax     : +33 5 62 25 95 99

Atos Ing�nierie Int�gration
  Address : ATOS 2I, Innopolis Voie 2, BP 385, 31314 Lab�ge CEDEX, FRANCE
  Tel.    : +33 5 61 39 24 30

* Re: CORBA, java and ada
@ 1998-06-17  0:00   ` falis
From: falis @ 1998-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whoops, sorry about the empty post.

> Luis Espinal <lespin03@fiu.edu> writes:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > sorry if this is out of the newsgroup context. Does anybody
> > know of:
> >

> > 2) a java-to-ada or ada-to-java converter or
> >
> > 3) a compiler that takes ada source and compiles it into
> > java bytecode.
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Luis Espinal.

Appletmagic (www.appletmagic.com) and ObjectAda (www.aonix.com) generate byte code and include binding generators for importing class files.
Free trials are available at both sites.  Gnat will also, as I understand it, in the not too distant future.

AdaJNI (www.ainslie-software.com) comprises a binding generator and bindings to JDK 1.1 and Swing for use from native Ada applications.
I believe it currently works with both ObjectAda and GNAT.

- Ed Falis
Aonix

@ 1998-06-18  0:00 ` Terry J. Westley
From: Terry J. Westley @ 1998-06-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Luis Espinal <lespin03@fiu.edu> wrote in article
<358700B3.F00F6171@fiu.edu>...

> sorry if this is out of the newsgroup context. Does anybody
> know of:

[snip, snip]

> 3) a compiler that takes ada source and compiles it into
> java bytecode.

See http://www.buffnet.net/~westley/AdaJava/ for some simple
examples of using Aonix ObjectAda and Intermetrics Appletmagic
to write Ada applets.

Terry J. Westley, Principal Engineer
Calspan, An operation of Veridian
twestley@buffalo.veridian.com   http://www.calspan.com/
Author of TASH, an Ada binding to Tcl/Tk.
Visit the TASH web site at http://tash.calspan.com.