From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: DLL files
Date: 1998/02/20
Date: 1998-02-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

OK, but if you write a DLL which goes direct to the SVGA hardware
(bypassing Windows), Windows is probably not going to like it!

Assuming (as I am) that your Ada compiler targets DOS (or bare PC), perhaps
what you need to do is to write an Ada library unit (presumably a package)
-- forget the DLL -- which controls the SVGA board directly.  If the
compiler hosts under Windows, so much the better (richer environment), but
then to run (you _might_ be able to run in DOS box, otherwise) you will
have to 'shut down to DOS', and run there.

I'm afraid I don't have SVGA data to hand -- I'll a little rummage -- but
if you can get your hands on that, I reckon the package should be pretty
easy to knock up.

I hope this is some help to you.  If I'm getting the wrong end of the stick
(as I often do ;-), enlighten me!

== Nick Roberts ================================================
== Croydon, UK                       ===========================
==                                              ================
== Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software                   ==========
== Independent Software Development Consultant            ======
== Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com                              ====
== Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124                          ===
==                                                            ==
==           I live not in myself, but I become               ==
===          Portion of that around me; and to me             ==
====         High mountains are a feeling, but the hum        ==
=======      Of human cities torture.
===========                             -- Byron [Childe Harold]

Andy Perkins <storm@vci.net> wrote in article
<34EC8B90.EEDC9238@vci.net>...
> Nick Roberts wrote:
>
> > Use of DLLs implies Windows, which implies availability of the Windows
GDI