From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: INFO-ADA Digest - 12 Feb 1998 (#1998-8) - Bugs
Date: 1998/02/19
Date: 1998-02-19T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I'm not disagreeing with anything that Robert says (in this post ;-), but I
would add that many software producers keep their bug lists secret, and
release software which has significant bugs in it without ever telling
their customers.

It seems to me that releasing a piece of software with any number of bugs
in it is perfectly decent, _provided_ that the paying customer is told
about the bugs in advance, and that all users are told about them with
receipt of the product.

It's the deception which is really immoral (on a practical level).  I could
tell a few stories!

== Nick Roberts ================================================
== Croydon, UK                       ===========================
==                                              ================
== Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software                   ==========
== Independent Software Development Consultant            ======
== Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com                              ====
== Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124                          ===
==           I live not in myself, but I become               ==
===          Portion of that around me; and to me             ==
====         High mountains are a feeling, but the hum        ==
=======      Of human cities torture.
===========                             -- Byron [Childe Harold]

Robert Dewar <dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu> wrote in article
<dewar.887377152@merv>...
[about the practicalities of releases with minor bugs]