* TCP/IP in Ada
@ 1993-07-23 18:23 Eric Christiansen
From: Eric Christiansen @ 1993-07-23 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hi,

         Anyone out there have any code, or tips, for TCP/IP in Ada?

                       -eric

eric@edfub9.ctis.af.mil

* Re: TCP/IP in Ada
@ 1993-07-24 23:45 agate!howland.reston.ans.net!newsserver.jvnc.net!yale.edu!not-for-mail
From: agate!howland.reston.ans.net!newsserver.jvnc.net!yale.edu!not-for-mail @ 1993-07-24 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <22pabp$nki@iris.mbvlab.wpafb.af.mil> eric@edfub9.ctis.af.mil (Eric
Christiansen) writes:
>  Hi,
>
>         Anyone out there have any code, or tips, for TCP/IP in Ada?
>
>                       -eric
>
>eric@edfub9.ctis.af.mil

There are at least two implementations of TCP/IP (with Ada) in the
"Public Ada Library", including FTP and others.  But before you get
too excited, I think you had better look closely at the code.  For
example, the Unisys code uses tasks in a way which I think is a bit
overdone.  I don't know where the code is in the PAL, but on the
CD-ROM version of the PAL the two versions are:

   \ASR\DDN   - written in 1985 by E-Systems
   \ASR\DDN2  - written in 1987 by Unisys

There appears to be another implementation done as part of a secure
file transfer protocol project within the STARS effort. This code
can be found at:

   \ASSET\ADA_STD\ASST_232.TAZ - written in 1988 by BDM

The BDM code appears to have used "DDN" above as a starting point,
and didn't have a lot of good things to say about it.

You many wish to check with Navaho Technologies.  At one time they
were trying to support some of this software, which is really just
prototype quality.  The last # I had for them (at least 2yrs old)
is (602) 686-6391.

Good Luck.  If you find something else, or make improvements to what
is there, please let me know.  Also, if you want to split some of the
effort of upgrading this software, contact me and maybe we can work
something out.

-Tom

* Re: TCP/IP in Ada
@ 1993-07-26 18:49 Robert Kitzberger
From: Robert Kitzberger @ 1993-07-26 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

labtek@cs.yale.edu (Tom Griest) writes:

>   \ASR\DDN   - written in 1985 by E-Systems
>   \ASR\DDN2  - written in 1987 by Unisys

Also note that the DDN code only supports UDP/IP, and the DDN2 code
only supports TCP/IP.  Neither supports both TCP and UDP.  Adding UDP
is a straightforward bit of work.  Adding TCP to DDN, on the other
hand, is ill-advised, since TCP is many times more complex than UDP).
Nonetheless, the DDN2 code has a much cleaner architecture, and is
easier to plug in device drivers and socket layers.  Unfortunately, as
you point out, the DDN2 code uses tasking too liberally, to the tune
of 10+ context switches per packet transmission or reception.  If your
compiler supports passive tasking, then you can passivate some of
these (your mileage may vary).  With quite a bit of tweaking,
passivating, and optimization, my socket-layer performance was 10% of
my device-driver layer performance.

Caveat emptor.

	.Bob.
--
Bob Kitzberger                          Internet:   rlk@rational.com
Rational, Grass Valley, CA              CompuServe: 70743,1550

* TCP/IP in Ada
@ 1998-02-02  0:00 Holger Noseck
From: Holger Noseck @ 1998-02-02  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: noseck

Hello,

I want to use the Ada-TCP/IP-Implemenation, written by Unisys Defense
Systems in 1987, and available on the PAL-CD (PAL: Public Ada Library).

- Did anyone already test this TCP/IP-Implementation - not only compile
  it? And can he or she tell me about the experiences?
- This TCP/IP-Implementation provides code for the levels 3 and 4 of
the
  ISO/OSI protocol. Does anybody have a level-2-implementation IN ADA
  (i.e. a local network implementation), which cooperates with
the        Unisys-TCP/IP-Implementation?
- Even more wonderful: Is this level-2-implementation usable for
  Windows-NT and a Cogent-Ethernet-Card?

Any comments are welcome.

Holger Noseck                  e-mail: noseck@cci.de
Lohberg 10                     Fax: 0 59 31 - 805 100
CCI GmbH                       Tel.:0 59 31 - 805 418

49716 Meppen/Germany

* Re: TCP/IP in Ada
@ 1998-02-03  0:00 ` Andi Kleen
From: Andi Kleen @ 1998-02-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Holger Noseck <noseck@cci.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I want to use the Ada-TCP/IP-Implemenation, written by Unisys Defense
> Systems in 1987, and available on the PAL-CD (PAL: Public Ada Library).
>
> - Did anyone already test this TCP/IP-Implementation - not only compile
>   it? And can he or she tell me about the experiences?
> - This TCP/IP-Implementation provides code for the levels 3 and 4 of
> the
>   ISO/OSI protocol. Does anybody have a level-2-implementation IN ADA
>   (i.e. a local network implementation), which cooperates with
> the        Unisys-TCP/IP-Implementation?
> - Even more wonderful: Is this level-2-implementation usable for
>   Windows-NT and a Cogent-Ethernet-Card?

I looked at this implementation and it is very outdated. For example
it doesn't support Van Jacobsen Congestion Avoidance which makes it
evil to moderately sized networks (its massive use could lead to
congestion collapse etc.). Also there is no fast retransmit and other
features of modern TCP/IP stacks like delayed acks. The implementation
is far from RFC1122 compliance. IMHO it needs some major work before
it is usable.

Why don't you just use the standard TCP/IP Stack supplied with NT and write
a Binding to the WinSock library?

-Andi

* Re: TCP/IP in Ada
@ 1998-02-03  0:00   ` wiljan
From: wiljan @ 1998-02-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de> wrote in article <m34t2gud2h.fsf@fred.muc.de>...

> Why don't you just use the standard TCP/IP Stack supplied with NT and
write
> a Binding to the WinSock library?
You do not even to write a binding for this.
Check out the available win32 binding for NT. It contains all routines
for winsock.

Wiljan