* IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-12  0:00 Gerhard H�ring
From: Gerhard H�ring @ 1998-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am beginning to lean Ada. I started on Win95, but now I switched to
Linux as a development platform. I have desperately sought for a good
IDE for GNAT in text mode. I tried Grasp and it�s quite good, but I
would very much prefer an IDE in text mode (no Emacs). There is an NHIDE
port to Linux. But it seems it�s C++ only. Does anybody know of an
adaption to GNAT?

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-12  0:00 ` Gerald Kasner
From: Gerald Kasner @ 1998-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerhard H�ring wrote:

I have desperately sought for a good
> IDE for GNAT in text mode.

Try WPE. You may add the Ada keywords to the file we_synt_defs to
have syntax support for Ada.
..

-Gerald

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-12  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1998-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gerhard Häring wrote:

> I am beginning to lean Ada. I started on Win95, but now I switched to
> Linux as a development platform. I have desperately sought for a good
> IDE for GNAT in text mode. I tried Grasp and it´s quite good, but I
> would very much prefer an IDE in text mode (no Emacs). There is an NHIDE
> port to Linux. But it seems it´s C++ only. Does anybody know of an
> adaption to GNAT?

Just curious; what do you mean by "text mode", and why is Emacs not good
for that?

--
- Stephe

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-12  0:00   ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1998-01-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <34BA403E.5FDE@gsfc.nasa.gov>, Stephen says...

>Gerhard H=E4ring wrote:
>> =
>
>> I am beginning to lean Ada. I started on Win95, but now I switched to
>> Linux as a development platform. I have desperately sought for a good
>> IDE for GNAT in text mode. I tried Grasp and it=B4s quite good, but I
>> would very much prefer an IDE in text mode (no Emacs). There is an NHID=
>> port to Linux. But it seems it=B4s C++ only. Does anybody know of an
>> adaption to GNAT?
>
>Just curious; what do you mean by "text mode", and why is Emacs not good
>for that?
>
>-- =
>
>- Stephe

plain emacs on UNIX is OK, but the BEST editor I find is Visual slick Editor,
not only it  supports emacs mode (which is what I use) but it supports
few others (such as vi, brief, CUA). Visual slick Editor has many other
nice features. (such as formating how to print the source code, page number,
title on top of each page, time stamp, etc.. which can be very usefull).

this nice application is unfortunatly not avaliable for UNIX as far as I
know, it is not avaliable for linux.

The nice thing about VS is the ease of which I can have up to 20-30 files open
at the same time (which I do most of the time need to, I love to code :),
and how I can arrange the windows so that in one glance I can see all
the files, and use the ones I happen to need at the moment, and how I
can easily format the layout of the code with a click of a botton, VS
has many other nice configuration options, And in the rare occasion when
I shut down my PC and restart it again, and start VS again, it
reconstruct all my setup to the way it was, and all files are there
to continue working on from the point I left them, I dont think you can
do that with plain emacs on UNIX.

The way I do programming now is to use VS to do the editing, and to use one
or 2 DOS (yuk) windows on NT to issue my compiles and run commands from.
I use the MKS UNIX kit for NT (http://www.mks.com), it enables one to
have many of the UNIX commands avaliable for NT (such as grep, find,
etc..).  The only thing I miss from UNIX when I work on NT is the shell
commands, and MKS helps in this, it is not perfect, and does not have
everything, but it is better than just using those silly DOS commands.

I find this setup working very well for me so far, I get to use a nice editor,
to use emacs, and to have some of the UNIX shell commands to use for
compiling, runnning, testing etc.. No IDE for me, I do not like IDE's much.

Nasser

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-13  0:00       ` nabbasi
From: nabbasi @ 1998-01-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

jerry@jvdsys.nextjk.stuyts.nl says...

>Why not use the GNU tools ported to NT, these include the bash shell ?

Becuase I did not know about it except for now !
Thanks, I'll look it up for sure, I had no idea there was a bash
shell for NT and that the GNU tools have been ported to NT.

Now If I can find Xterm's windows for NT I'll be really happy, a way
to cut/paste between windows on NT with the same east I do on my UNIX
workstation will be great. Now cutting/pasting between DOS windows is\
very primitive.  I can this means I need to look for X11 client and server
implementation for NT, I wonder if there is such a thing...time to go
use that search engin again..

Nasser

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-14  0:00   ` Gerhard H�ring
From: Gerhard H�ring @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen.Leake

Stephen Leake wrote:
>Just curious; what do you mean by "text mode", and why is Emacs not good
>for that?

I meant that I don�t want to waste the little memory i have on my
machine (16M) for starting X. Emacs is just another program with lots &
lots of functions I do not need - too bloated for me (I�ve had enough
fatwore on Win95! and I want to learn Ada, not ELisp plus dozens of new
commands)

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-14  0:00     ` Jerry van Dijk
From: Jerry van Dijk @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <69dis0$3kh@drn.zippo.com> nabbasi@earthlink.net writes:

>The way I do programming now is to use VS to do the editing, and to use one
>or 2 DOS (yuk) windows on NT to issue my compiles and run commands from.
>I use the MKS UNIX kit for NT (http://www.mks.com), it enables one to
>have many of the UNIX commands avaliable for NT (such as grep, find,
>etc..).  The only thing I miss from UNIX when I work on NT is the shell
>commands, and MKS helps in this, it is not perfect, and does not have
>everything, but it is better than just using those silly DOS commands.

Why not use the GNU tools ported to NT, these include the bash shell ?

--

-- Jerry van Dijk | Leiden, Holland
-- Consultant     | Team Ada

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-14  0:00     ` Thomas G. McWilliams
From: Thomas G. McWilliams @ 1998-01-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII, Size: 768 bytes --]

Gerhard H�ring <gerhard.haering@altoetting-online.de> wrote
: Emacs is just another program with lots & lots of functions I do not
: need - too bloated for me (I've had enough fatware on Win95! and I
: want to learn Ada, not ELisp plus dozens of new commands) . . .

If you want to keep things simple and easy, why not use gnatmake?
Just write your code with your favorite text editor. Then all you
have to do is aim gnatmake at your root procedure and pull the
trigger:
           gnatmake foobar

That's all there is to it. Gnatmake will find all the dependencies
and handle them automatically.

Just want to do a quick check without generating code?

           gnatmake -c -gnatc foobar

Gnatmake is part of GNAT, therefore you already have a copy of it.

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-15  0:00     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-01-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At the risk of sounding slightly fatuous, why not write your own text
editor, in Ada?  It would be a great way to learn Ada, and you end up with
the perfect editor: written precisely to your own specifications!  Any time
you want to alter or extend it: you can!  It's not too daunting (or
time-consuming) a task, if you start off very simple, and add functionality
as you really need it.

--

Nick Roberts
Croydon, UK

Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software; Independent Software Development
Consultant
* Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com * Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124 *
*** Eats three shredded spams every morning for breakfast ***

Gerhard H�ring <gerhard.haering@altoetting-online.de> wrote in article
<34BC0A6E.8CDD593@altoetting-online.de>...
> Stephen Leake wrote:
> >Just curious; what do you mean by "text mode", and why is Emacs not good
> >for that?
>
> I meant that I don�t want to waste the little memory i have on my
> machine (16M) for starting X. Emacs is just another program with lots &
> lots of functions I do not need - too bloated for me (I�ve had enough
> fatwore on Win95! and I want to learn Ada, not ELisp plus dozens of new
> commands)

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-19  0:00       ` Gerhard Haering
From: Gerhard Haering @ 1998-01-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your advices.

On 15 Jan 1998 22:11:03 GMT, "Nick Roberts"
<Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>At the risk of sounding slightly fatuous, why not write your own text
>editor, in Ada?  It would be a great way to learn Ada, [...]

When you learn a new language, you start with programming a word
processor? ;-) [I am currently programming a very simple card game in
Ada. There�s a computer player and a human player, which should be
interfaced equally by a handler. This was also the way I learnt oop in
c++.]

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-20  0:00         ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1998-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ... why not write your own text editor, in Ada?
>>

> When you learn a new language, you start with programming a word
> processor? ;-)

The conversion of text editor (no graphics or mouse) to
word processor in the above conversation not only shows
a common practice, but a common predjudice against the
handicapped who cannot use a mouse.

A voice processor can permit paraplegics and other
people who cannot use a mouse easily to use a text editor,
but it is a lot harder to have a voice processor drive
a text editor.

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-20  0:00           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1998-01-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael said (I guess he has another agenda item):

<<The conversion of text editor (no graphics or mouse) to
word processor in the above conversation not only shows
a common practice, but a common predjudice against the
handicapped who cannot use a mouse.

This really rates a huh?

There are text editors which use mouses

There are word processors which do not use mouses

What a completely extraordinary distinction to try to make!

* Re: IDE for GNAT/Linux?
@ 1998-01-22  0:00         ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 1998-01-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you start off really simple -- maybe knocking up something that works a
bit like UNIX 'ed', perhaps -- and then extend and improve the program as
you go along, it needn't be too daunting.  It can be a lot of fun, in fact,
and sometimes really useful (since you can build-in exactly the
functionality you want).

--

Nick Roberts
Croydon, UK

Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software; Independent Software Development
Consultant
* Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com * Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124 *
*** Always game for a verbal joust (usually as the turkey) ***

Gerhard Haering <gerhard.haering@altoetting-online.de> wrote in article