From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: statically compatible access discriminants in derivation
Date: 1998/01/16
Date: 1998-01-16T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

I think if you look closely at the wording of 4.9.1(4), you will see that
in the derivation definition

   type object( board : access device_instance.object'class ) is new
unit_if.object( board ) with null record;

the subtype of the board in the parent type (unit_if.object) is 'statically
compatible' with the subtype of the new discriminant, because (a) it is an
access type, and (b) the parent type's discriminant's subtype is
unconstrained.  All class-wide types are unconstrained.

So I believe you can do what you put in the example.

I cannot claim to be authoritative here: others may know better than me
(please, don't laugh, I have my pride you know :-).

--

Nick Roberts
Croydon, UK

Proprietor, ThoughtWing Software; Independent Software Development
Consultant
* Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com * Voicemail & Fax +44 181-405 1124 *
*** Eats three shredded spams every morning for breakfast ***

Pat Rogers <progers@acm.org> wrote in article
<69gucb$l9k$1@uuneo.neosoft.com>...