From: "Steved" <nospam_steved@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Ada - State of the art tools... lacking
Date: 1997/12/27
Date: 1997-12-27T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu> wrote in article
<dewar.882990051@merv>...
> Jon said
>
> <<Did you look at using Delphi?  Were there specific reasons you didn't
use
> it?  It seems like from you message it would have been a much better fit
> than Object Ada.
> >>

> Perhaps he preferred to use a standardized language, or perhaps he simply
> preferred Ada over Pascal, especially over a vendor specific non-standard
> extension to Pascal :-)

Exactly.  Going with a single vendor solution can cause severe long term
problems that don't arise with a standard language that is supported by
multiple vendors (yes optimistic).  If we wrote our code for Delphi, there
is no reason to think that Borland won't make major changes to the language
next year that breaks our system.  If something happens with ObjectAda we
can move our source code to GNAT.  If something happens with GNAT we can
move our source code to DDC-I (when they finish their NT Ada 95 product).
If something happens to DDC-I we can move to Green Hills... and so on.

Oh, and I think the development tools will mellow with age, but right now
I'm just frustrated.

SteveD