* GUIs and Ada Tasking
@ 1997-11-06  0:00 Paul McDonald
From: Paul McDonald @ 1997-11-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

We are using thinking of using the ObjectAda GUI builder to build a
simulator for our project.  I ran some tests, and linking the GUI and
application produces strange execution.  I believe this is because the Ada
tasking cannot exist with the Windows GUI thread of control.  Any ideas
would be appreciated.

Paul McDonald
Tracor AES
pmcdonal@ael.com

* Re: GUIs and Ada Tasking
@ 1997-11-08  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-11-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>believe Ada tasking cannot coexist with GUI thread
You are aware of the way messages go to the thread of their Window and
all that.  Ada tasking can run with the Windows GUI (see, eg, my
Adtest example in the Claw demos at www.rrsoftware.com/clawdemo.htm)
but it does take care.

* Re: GUIs and Ada Tasking
@ 1997-11-09  0:00   ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 1997-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) writes:

> >believe Ada tasking cannot coexist with GUI thread
> You are aware of the way messages go to the thread of their Window and
> all that.  Ada tasking can run with the Windows GUI (see, eg, my
> Adtest example in the Claw demos at www.rrsoftware.com/clawdemo.htm)
> but it does take care.

(sorry, lost the original ..)

With X11R6 you can build the libraries (X, Xt) to be thread-aware, but
the only off-the-shelf versions I've seen haven't been built this way.

If the libraries aren't thread-aware, or you're using an earlier X11,
each task must use its own Display connection exclusively (there can
be more than one connection to the same physical screen, so the tasks
can contribute to the same picture, but it is not straightforward to
handle).

I don't know whether there are widget sets (Athena, Motif, Tk) in
thread-safe versions, though.

I put a Linux/GNAT/XFree86-3.2 summary, which might be some help, at
http://www.pogner.demon.co.uk/gnat-x-threads/

--
Simon Wright                        Work Email: simon.j.wright@gecm.com
GEC-Marconi Radar & Defence Systems            Voice: +44(0)1705-701778

* Re: GUIs and Ada Tasking
@ 1997-11-09  0:00 Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-11-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <x7vn2jeufq7.fsf@pogner.demon.co.uk> Simon Wright answered the
question in this thread in terms of X-Windows.  I had (mis?)interpreted
the question as being in terms of Microsoft Windows.  Do the same rules
apply in MS-Windows and X-Windows?

* Re: GUIs and Ada Tasking
@ 1997-11-17  0:00     ` Jean-Claude MAHIEUX
From: Jean-Claude MAHIEUX @ 1997-11-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

To Graph'X delivers XInAda/95 a full Ada 95 IMPLEMENTATION for
X11/Xt and Motif libraries.
A bundle with TeleUSE (TeleUSE/XInAda, previously called
TeleUSE/Ada) is available, that includes TeleUSE, XInAda, and Ada
code generators for  TeleUSE.

One of the great things with XInAda; is that it allows a non
restrictive use of Ada tasking with X11 and Motif. It also allows
to use several application context.

For more information contact me at : topgraphx@compuserve.com

Jean-Claude Mahieux
Sales and Marketing
Top Graph'X

--
Jean-Claude Mahieux -Top Graph'X - FRANCE
Tel : (33 1) 69 26 97 88 Fax : (33 1) 69 26 97 89