* Re: The great Java showcase (re: 2nd historic mistake)
@ 1997-08-29  0:00 Ell
From: Ell @ 1997-08-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony (jsa@alexandria.organon.com) wrote:
: In article <34059D8A.3F3B7FA4@brightwood.com> "Brett J. Stonier" <bretts@brightwood.com> writes:
:
: > Now, how about an example of superior technology that won out?  Take the
: > Japanese car manufacturers of the 80s.  Did they attack the U.S. car
: > industry?  I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think they did.  They
: > made superior cars and sold them at a reasonable cost.  And they made a
: > huge dent in the U.S. car industry, knocking them off their throne of
: > dominance.  So, it seems to be possible to take the high road and still
: > win out.

: This is the _only_ way to win out in the end.  It may well be that
: this won't be sufficient, but anything else is a sure-fire elixer for
: absolute failure for the reasons you cite.

No it isn't.  You can win with an inferior product due to other factors.
The overwhelming evidence of which some refuse to accept.

: In this particular case
: you site, I happen to know that indeed there were no such attacks.

I can remember the Japanese automakers hitting the US ones hard in the
'70's and '80's on quality, and mileage.  I don't know how much this
helped them, but they did it.

: The main reason why this might not be enough is two fold:
:
: 1) there needs to be "enough of a win"

Again, an inferior product can "win" due to factors other than the those
inherent in the products being compared.

: 2) the _customer_ needs to twig that there is such a win.

Often for the _customer_ to "twig" things, the customer's eyes and ears
need to be opened.  This the Japanese automakers did freely.

: By 2) I don't mean the _manufacturer_ (coder, whatever), but the "end
: user".

That is what I mean also.

Elliott
--
"The domain object model is the foundation of OOD."
"We should seek out proven optimal practices and use them."

* Re: The great Java showcase (re: 2nd historic mistake)
@ 1997-09-17  0:00 Ell
From: Ell @ 1997-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mark Wilden (Mark@mWilden.com) wrote:
:
: Ell wrote:
: >
: > I am of the mind that we engineers should be finding
: > out what it is people want and need.

: Hear, bloody hear!
:
: I'd add, however, that we engineers may be able to _implement_ what the
: user wants better than the user.

Certainly in general that's true - we have the training and experience
creating software they don't.

: In other words, given accurate
: knowledge of what their needs and wants are, we can come up with a
: solution that satisfies those things which may actually be different
: from what the user would suggest.

They probably don't even suggest an "implementation".  But what I'm saying
is developers are looney tunes if in general they don't implement the app
*as a closely as possible* to the domain model.  In other words, they
should attempt to preserve as much traceability as possible between
physical implementation and the domain object model.

The benefit of doing so is increased intuitiveness and understanding for
other initial developers and for enhancement/maintenance developers.
Those are the major wins and goals of OO modelling - greater intuitiveness
and understandability, both of the domain and the implementation.

Elliott

From: Ell @ 1997-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Ottinger (tottinge@dave-world.net) wrote:
:
: Ell wrote:
:
: > Tim Ottinger (tottinge@dave-world.net) wrote:
: > :
: > : People don't know what they want.

: > Believe me most people _do_ know what they _want_.

: No. Most people see a thing and then decide they want it.

As an opening comment, the gist of what you and RMartin have to say about
this question is that you the engineers are justified in determining what
users want.  Whereas I am of the mind that we engineers should be finding
out what it is people want and need.

You are seriously delusional if you do not realize that _in general_
people know what they want.  Not that it's always best for them, but
generally they do know what they want/desire.

: > : They don't know what they need.

: > Never?  In all cases?  So only the engineers can tell us what they
: > need?

: Most people want freedom, compensation, respect, and autonomy. If you
: list those out for them. Otherwise, they want safety, simplicity, to be
: in comfortable situations where their consequences won't harm them, and
: a clear path to follow. Most people want both at the same time and don't
: realize that they're contradictory.

I think people are smarter than what you and RMartin give them credit for.
It is quite possible and reasonable to want contradictory things in a
certain balance or workable relationship to each other.

The pragmatists deny there is objective truth.  They want to bend things
to what _they_ see, want, or desire.  I say give users what they want!  In
most cases it's possible.

Elliott

From: Ell @ 1997-09-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ell (ell@access1.digex.net) wrote:
:
: Mark Wilden (Mark@mWilden.com) wrote:
: :
: : Ell wrote:
: : >
[...]

Other benefits are that when changes occur in the domain, it is easier to
map them to changes in the code, and secondly, code reuse can be more
closely aligned with domain abstractions.

Elliott
--

@ 1997-09-15  0:00 Ell
From: Ell @ 1997-09-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Ottinger (tottinge@dave-world.net) wrote:
:
: People don't know what they want.

Believe me most people _do_ know what they _want_.

: They don't know what they need.

Never?  In all cases?  So only the engineers can tell us what they need?
This is a lot like the statement your president RMartin made that "the
engineers should determine the domain model".

I think you are wrong to make such an uqualified assertion.  If you said:
"They _sometimes_ don't know _precisely_ what they need", you would
be a lot closer to the truth, imo.

Elliott
--
"The domain object model is the foundation of OOD."
"We should seek out proven optimal practices and use them."
See SW Modeller vs SW Pragmatist Central: http://www.access.digex.net/~ell

[parent not found: <97090916235363@psavax.pwfl.com>]
* Re: The great Java showcase (re: 2nd historic mistake)
@ 1997-09-04  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-09-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <dewar@MERV.CS.NYU.EDU> writes:
>Paul says
>
><<Technical superiority is not just a matter of having gee-whiz features,
>it is a matter of doing a better job.>>
>
>Sure, but who judges what is a better job. The answer is that the only
>person who can judge is the consumer. The VHS vs Beta example is a good
>one from this point of view. The tecnical folks at Sony thought that
>image quality was *the* important technical quality. But they were wrong,
>and they paid for their mistake. In fact playing time was much more
>important to the public.

    I thought one of the biggest reasons that Beta didn't succeed was
    that Sony refused to license the technology in order to keep 100%
    of the market share (can you say "Apple?") and as a result there
    was less available material to view. VHS mostly won out because
    with lots of companies making players, lots of studios were
    willing to put out material on that format regardless of any
    technical superiority.

    Hence what the market really decided on was not a technical issue
    at all. It was more of a marketing blunder coupled with greed and
    stupidity. (Not that Sony would be the first or the last to ever
    make this mistake. The world is filled with such examples.)

>An interesting case is gathering steam now, there is a question of whether
>the new digital TV transmission capability should be used for HDTV, or
>more conventional channels. It is beginning to look more and more as though
>the public and the hence the networks, prefer more conventional channels.

    HDTV has a similar problem and I liked your earlier observation
    about asking the public what's wrong with TV and not having
    resolution be named number one. Sure: All things being equal, I'd
    rather get a sharper image on the screen. But I'd much prefer that
    Hollywood put out material that wasn't so pathetic, lame, vulgar
    and aimed at the lowest common denominator. If they would come out
    with a) lots of viewing material and b) better quality viewing
    material for HDTV, I might run out an buy a set. As it is, why
    waste the money - Beavis and Butthead will be just about as
    entertaining at lower resolution. (Maybe introduce the HDTV set
    along with a companion VCR & lots of movies formatted for it and
    put one on display in every Blockbuster? It'd take a lot of bucks,
    but I bet the public would run out and buy it if the combined unit
    cost could be kept under $500. Once you get a few million sets out
    there, broadcast will follow...)

    So to bring it back around to the topic of computer languages...

    Technical superiority isn't the only factor in the consumer's
    judgment about buying a computer language. Sometimes it's
    availability of material. I may like Ada better than C, but for
    lots of jobs, the only available compilers are C compilers, so
    that's what we use. (Can't stop everything and retarget an
    existing compiler - often takes too long or costs more than it's
    worth) The decision isn't technical (except insofar as the market
    itself may be considered a technical issue), it's based on other
    concerns that are not a failure of some engineer to anticipate
    what features I think will be important.

    I know Ada has lots of marketing problems that aren't technical in
    nature - not the least of which is incorrect perceptions on the
    part of lots of engineers. e.g. "govt mandate = bad" "Ada = committee
    design = bad" "dropping mandate = abandonment", etc, etc. I hear
    it right across the aisle and any attempts to correct the
    perception seem futile: "Ada is dead - I'm going with Java" Maybe
    it would be wise to make a few superficial changes to the
    language, give it a hip sounding new name, get some major software
    or hardware vendor to back it and start fresh?

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-96, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
  "I saw a bank that said "24 Hour Banking", but I don't have that much time."
        --  Steven Wright

* Re: The great Java showcase (re: 2nd historic mistake)
@ 1997-08-30  0:00 BruceMount
From: BruceMount @ 1997-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Apparently Silvio Calissi wrote (I did not see the posting):

> Paul Johnson wrote in article <5u61fk$e23$5@miranda.gmrc.gecm.com>
> >Sun come along with Java, and suddenly it makes more progress in 1 year
> than
> >Eiffel has in its entire existence, despite being clearly inferior to
> >Eiffel on every ground that Eiffel has ever been criticized on.
>
> Why did companies like SUN, MS, Borland, ... support JAVA instead of another
> (better) language. Do you think that they are stupid ? How can they be
> ignorant that this leads to the second historic mistake ?
> I really like to know some opinions on this.

Sun, Microsoft, Borland, etc. ARE in fact very smart companies.
However, it is important to realize that their goals may or
may not align with your goals as a technologist.

The major impetus behind Java is that it allows Sun,
Netscape, etc. to challenge the dominance of Microsoft
and Intel.  Period.  They want to do this so that they
can make money, which is totally fine with me.....I'd
like to make money too.

They need a proprietary technology (Java) so that they
can control/direct it's future as part of their overall
marketing play.  I personally think that Sun et. al. has
made a brilliant marketing play here.  I am not knocking
the value (or power) or marketing or making money.
Hell, I keep wishing *I'd* invented the Pet Rock.

However, I don't think we should kid ourselves about
it either.  Sun et. al. did NOT propose Java because
they thought it was "the best" technology.  They
proposed it because it was "good enough" and under
their control and cause they thought it could
fundamentally change the computer marketplace.
Eiffel was already in the public domain (thanks Bertrand)
and thus would not have served Sun's purpose.

As to why Eiffel has not been as successful in
the marketplace....I am surprised I even need
to answer this.  The combined total marketing
budgets of Tower, ISE, and SIG is a fraction
of what a single large department at Sun might
have.  Sun runs national ads for Java.  Sun
can have a publicist at every trade show....can
call every tech columnist.....The Eiffel
community can't afford that.

Actually, what surprises me is that Microsoft
hasn't latched on to Eiffel as part of their
"slow Java" campaign.  Eiffel is in the public
domain and they could either build their own
compiler or buy one.  Given the right promotion,
Microsoft could catapult Eiffel into a strong
competitor to Java which would be sufficient to
slow the moves of Sun and others.

--Bruce

From: Ell @ 1997-08-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony (jsa@alexandria.organon.com) wrote:
: In article <34059D8A.3F3B7FA4@brightwood.com> "Brett J. Stonier" <bretts@brightwood.com> writes:
:
: > Now, how about an example of superior technology that won out?  Take the
: > Japanese car manufacturers of the 80s.  Did they attack the U.S. car
: > industry?  I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think they did.  They
: > made superior cars and sold them at a reasonable cost.  And they made a
: > huge dent in the U.S. car industry, knocking them off their throne of
: > dominance.  So, it seems to be possible to take the high road and still
: > win out.

: This is the _only_ way to win out in the end.

Not that you are saying it, but winning does not necessarily mean "taking
it all".  It may mean having a higher level of impact in either, or both,
a non-dominant way quantitatively, or in one or more specifically focused
qualitative ways.

Elliott
--
"The domain object model is the foundation of OOD."
"We should seek out proven optimal practices and use them."
See SW Modeller vs SW Pragmatist Central: http://www.access.digex.net/~ell

[parent not found: <5tvvsj$lh2$1@news2.digex.net>]
* The great Java showcase (re: 2nd historic mistake)
@ 1997-08-25  0:00 Bertrand Meyer
From: Bertrand Meyer @ 1997-08-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my message on the "second historic mistake" I had
written that, whereas Eiffel has successful commercial
applications approaching the million lines of source
code, there was no comparable experience in Java outside
of applets and of the Java tools themselves.

A few weeks ago there was an interesting exchange:

	[Ken Garlington]

	!!! The discussion is interesting in that Meyer
	!!! (a) criticizes Java for not being used on large
	!!! projects (whatever happened to unfair criticism
	!!! of new languages?

	[Robert Dewar]

	> > Hmmm! I guess he does not consider the Corel office
	> > suite large. Or perhaps simply does not know about it.

	[Bertrand Meyer]

	> It would be difficult not to know about it,
	> as it gets hammered over and again by Java proponents
	> (along with Java tools themselves) as the example of
	> completed Java development, to the extent that one
	> may wonder whether there is any other.

It's really fascinating to read this again a month later,
with the recent announcements -- widely reported by the
press -- that Corel is dropping its Java strategy altogether.

So much for the showcase success of the century...

--
Bertrand Meyer, President, ISE Inc.
ISE Building, 2nd floor, 270 Storke Road, Goleta CA 93117