From: "Malcolm Macgregor" <m.d.macrgegor@open.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Conception problem
Date: 1997/06/03
Date: 1997-06-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Jim shaw <James_P_Shaw@msn.com> wrote in article
<01bc6c26$4e1c0ef0$ab526478@jims_nt_1>...
> A better solution would be to implement the Observer design pattern ...
Hey this a Smalltalk group don't bring your java terms in here:-) This
pattern in
Smalltalk is generally referred to as MVC.
>> This is a question about what is
> > the best
> > way to handle lists where modifications of one element can trigger
> > modifications
> > on other elements of the list.
This is a standard MVC situation and the VisualWorks cookbook tells you how
do exactly  this sort of thing in very few lines of code.I'm sure IBM  and
express
will have the same sort of thing. Post again if you can't get hold of VW.
What
language are you wanting to do these list sort of things in?

P.S. Definitely read Gamma, and I'm joking about use of Observer.
Observer-observed
is a more general term than MVC and should become part of Smalltalk lingua
franca.