From: "Nick Roberts" <Nick.Roberts@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: Cygwin.dll and win32 stuff
Date: 1997/03/23
Date: 1997-03-23T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

David Bierbaum <elbier@ezl.com> wrote in article
<01bc33be$d9e1fbc0$3f2b18ce@elbier.ezl.com>...
> Does anyone know where I can find some documentation on the Cygnus Win32
> stuff that comes with GNAT 3.09?  I must be looking in all the wrong
places
> 8^D
>
> Also, is there a sort of generic package for GUI's, so one could do
similar
> operations, like opening a window, from Windows, XWindows, or the Mac?
I'm
> a newby, and would appreciate any info you have on these questions.

For simple windowing operations, this may be possible, but for anything
vaguely complex/serious/commercial, the problem is that there are too many
fundamental differences between different windowing systems. There will
always be some facilities in one which will have no kind equivalent at all
in another. For example, there is a call in Windows to pop up a system
modal dialog box, which is useful occasionally (trust me!). In X-Windows:
no way! There is literally no way to do this in X-Windows. Point made I
think.

Nick