* Re: Character input (no echo)....
@ 1997-03-05  0:00 ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-03-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <01bc298f$ce9896e0$f5093e9f@lsm8-pc.linkabit.titan.com>, "Marc Bejerano" <t_mjb@linkabit.titan.com> writes:
> How do I do this? I tried using a C import (remaps getch(stdin)...etc) but
> it did not have the desired effect. FWIW I am running under Win95/NT and
> would like this to be as transparent as possible so as not to be tied to
> the platform. Isn't there a C library function that will let me read the
> keyboard (including the decoding of functions keys) etc.?

Independent of Ada, some operating systems will echo characters
before a program call to read them, meaning you cannot be certain
the character hasn't already been echoed by the time your program
takes the action to avoid the echo.

Portable solutions are thus unlikely, although a good try can
be had by only hiring slow typists.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Character input (no echo)....
@ 1997-03-05  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-03-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> tried using a C import (remaps getch(stdin)...etc) but
> it did not have the desired effect. FWIW I am running under Win95/NT
  Are you running in a DOS box or a GUI window?  If the latter, will
getch work even in C?  I thought generally you would need to run your
message loop and watch for relevant WM_xxx messages, on Windows.

* Character input (no echo)....
@ 1997-03-05  0:00 Marc Bejerano