From: "Jerry van Dijk" <jvandyk@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: gnat 3.07 DOS
Date: 1997/01/22
Date: 1997-01-22T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Michael F Brenner <mfb@mbunix.mitre.org> wrote in article
<5c36l5$5u3@top.mitre.org>...

> Preliminary Feedback: the gnat 3.07 DOS: (1) More things work
> than worked under 3.05. (2) Some things work a lot faster.
> (3) All EXEs are about twice as big as gnat 3.05 before stripping,
> but they strip (using SLIMFAST.BAT) down to about 10K more
> than their 3.05 size,

Yes, I have the same experiences. Also error checking is improved
again.

>  (4) There may be a couple of new problems.

Lets see...

> First, we may have to start a new stream_IO thread, because
> we seem to be getting extra carriage returns on some stream_io
> writes.

Hmmm, although I'm doing a lot of file scanning/parsing right now
I haven't run into this (yet?).

I hardly dare to ask, but are you sure it's not a file format
translation
(unix (LF) to DOS (LF/CR) problem ? Both GNAT and DJGPP have
options controlling the translation.

> Also, some applications that worked under 3.05 are getting
> sigseg interrupt 08 DOS hangs. As a result it will take a
> couple of days to test the public domain software we were using.

That is really odd.You are not using djgpp 2.01 ?

Note that *DOS error 8* (what is what in djgpp the signal number
means) is 'out of memory'.

> Things someone could look into: (A) Were the symbols REALLY stripped
> from the runtime routines?

In 3.05 the 'strip' utility was automatically run when building a
executable, this
has been left out of 3.07. To get back to the 3.05 filesizes use:

exe2coff file.exe
strip --strip-all file
coff2exe file
del file

 (B) How can we write streams of bytes
> in a way that they work the same way from a pipeline or to
> an internally opened filename, preferably in a way that works
> unchangingly between DOS and un*x?

By setting the proper file format options, see GNAT and DJGPP docs.

BTW although we should be glad ACT has provided us yet again with
a new version of GNAT/DOS, it would have been even nicer if:

a) DJGPP v2.01 was used as a platform, the incompatibilities are a
    major PITA;

b) GNAT would use the DJGPP Long Filename Support when running
    in a Win95 DOS box.

Jerry.